Unanswered: EZ Question: Return text value instead of ID number (GP, are you there?)

I'm setting up a database that is very simply constructed. In the form, there are combo boxes for Category, Material Type, etc. based on tables of the same name. Problem is, in the query (and therefore in the report) the ID is returned (displayed) instead of the text value.

I used to know the resolution to this, but this is my first db in almost two years, and the easy answer is escaping me!

Thanks for any help!

Jaycee

Too many questions to ask ... Where exactly is the problem? If the report has a control bound to the ID field of the value desired then you need to change that ....If the field is bound to a column that you fill then you need to change that to the name instead of the ID ... As for the combos, you hide the ID column by setting it's column width to 0.
    Back to Access ... ADO is not the way to go for speed ...

I used the wizard to create the combo boxes. The source is the table, and I didn't include the ID field. The text shows up correctly in the form, but when I look at the query (and the report based on the query), it shows the ID number instead of the text.

In the combo box properties, it shows the field is bound to column 1, which is zero length. Changing it to 2 had no effect.

Clear as mud?

Thanks,

Jaycee

Quote Originally Posted by Jaycee
    I used the wizard to create the combo boxes. The source is the table, and I didn't include the ID field. The text shows up correctly in the form, but when I look at the query (and the report based on the query), it shows the ID number instead of the text.

In the combo box properties, it shows the field is bound to column 1, which is zero length. Changing it to 2 had no effect.

Clear as mud?

Thanks,

Jaycee
    Well then ... Change the report textbox to bind to the column that has the name in it ... That is the ControlSource property ... Not the RowSource ...

I think if I can get the text value to show up in the query, it'll show up in the report (right, or no?).

Here are the properties of the combo box as they relate to data:

Control Source - Category
    Row Source Type - Table/Query
    Row Source - SELECT tblCategory.Category FROM tbl.Category
    Column Count - 2
    Bound Column - 1

What do I need to change?

Quote Originally Posted by Jaycee
    I think if I can get the text value to show up in the query, it'll show up in the report (right, or no?).

Column Count - 2
    Bound Column - 1

Uh ... Let's see: How about adding the 2nd column to the RowSource query ... You have 2 columns for the combo and are querying for 1 and if memory serves me right, Access fills L->R so you're getting only half the records with the other half filling the missing name column ...

Cool Having the same problem.. can you help

Quote Originally Posted by Jaycee View Post

Column Count - 2
    Bound Column - 1

I am learning Access and am having the same problem. The query is set up so that the bound column is 1 and the column count is 2. The text shows up in the query, however; the report only shows the ID Number. Can you explain to me how to format the report?