Unanswered: Web Enablement Q

I'm trying to Web enable one of my Forms on my DB. The default method binds the web form/page to a data table.

Since I am working with 5 tables this will not do. I need unbound, drop the nav bar and enable buttons.

After being frustrated with trying inside of Access I went outside and created a straight up .HTML web page. Now I need to be able to get things to work, but have zero experience in FrontPage, .asp, and VBscript.

I will really appreciate any help given.

Thanks!

DBS4M

Perhaps this may hopefully give you some ideas:

Web Database Concept
    http://www.bullschmidt.com/concept.asp

But if you really want the database to reside locally instead of on the Web and you don't have too much anticipated Web data entry you may just want to have a Web form that sends an e-mail to someone in the organization with all the data from the Web form just after a user fills it in. Then the data from the e-mail would manually be entered into the database.

And here's a nice CDO link even if you don't use the attachment part:

Email (with Attachment)
    http://www.asp101.com/samples/email_attach.asp
    J. Paul Schmidt, Freelance Web and Database Developer
    www.Bullschmidt.com
    Access Database Sample, Web Database Sample, ASP Design Tips

Sorry

Bull,

Sorry, I'm looking for actual HTML/VBscript code to make this happen. My form has 17 fields. 10 of those fields are DD comboboxes. 4 of those are ValueList fields and 6 are table or query driven so what I need is something like this:

Code:
    	' Load the First Combo Box
       	QString = "SELECT * FROM MyQery;"
       	Set rs3 = Con1.Execute(QString)
       	MyFrm.EST.recordsource = QString
       	MyFrm.EST.Requery
    Of course after a connection, but I can't even get the Module containing the connection string to execute and FP keeps giving me "Expected End of Statement" errors and I'm so new in FP I have no idea what this means or where to look.

I have the code:

Code:
    <!--#include file = "Globals.asp"-->
       <!--#include file = "ClassProc.asp"-->
    at the front end to call all this but it never seems to process and I'm clueless. I really understand Access, but am having a difficult transistion to the Web Enablement. I'm so new at this I don't even know how to declare which of the DD comboboxes <SELECT> are valuelists and table/query driven. I've noticed the properties have significant changes so don't even know which property to address or if all are now handled the same.

DBS4M

Provided Answers: 59
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullschmidt
    ......have a Web form that sends an e-mail to someone in the organization with all the data from the Web form just after a user fills it in. Then the data from the e-mail would manually be entered into the database.....

Not neccesarily so, if your email client has compatible libraries ie the libraries can be selected as refereneces in a code window then you can write a function to strip out the data from an email automatically.

What's Email got to Do with it?

I'm trying to connect to an Access DB not run Email, so don't understand this interjection?

I've been bumping along slowly here, going @#$#% stark raving crazy, because I'm so helpless here as I know nothing about VScript or ASP

I did find a source file at:

http://www.thevbzone.com/s_asp_classes.htm

which is suppose to link me up, but I don't know how to use it.

Help Please!!!!!

DBS4M

I'm trying to connect to an Access DB not run Email, so don't understand this interjection?
    Well if you really want to Web enable an Access database it basically has to reside on the Web server and not on a local PC. But if you somehow want to get the best of both worlds where a Web user can in effect add a record to a database on a local PC at least the Web ASP page could e-mail the user who sits on the local PC to add the record to the database. And obviously this would be a somewhat klunky approach but it is used sometimes.
    Last edited by Bullschmidt; 10-05-05 at 20:46.
    www.Bullschmidt.com

On the Server

Quote Originally Posted by Bullschmidt
    Well if you really want to Web enable an Access database it basically has to reside on the Web server and not on a local PC. But if you somehow want to get the best of both worlds where a Web user can in effect add a record to a database on a local PC at least the Web ASP page could e-mail the user who sits on the local PC to add the record to the database. And obviously this would be a somewhat klunky approach but it is used sometimes.
    Actually this DB does reside on the server and I have to link to the DB backend to run development. We also are installing Apache (installed but not working see thread http://www.dbforums.com/t1193216.html) and FrontPage, locally to make sure we can test and run all the Web Enablement locally, but it is IIS on the Server.

Once I get the code working we have to check with our Web Services Group in the IT dept to see if our current server is Web enabled. I'm sure it is as we have several other Access DB installs on this server that are using the Access Generated Web Pages, with the Nav bar and they are working served up from this server.

Most of my problems are occurring, since I can not use the nav bar and must use buttons. I've finally figured out how to make those 6 table/query driven fields to gen inside Access, but have the following problems:

1. All but two of those field populate from their respective t/q inside of Access but none do calling the page in EI. The two that do not show inside the Access session use the same t/q so must have some recordset conflict issues.

2. I can not get any of the button scripting to work, and this is where I'm so clueless, having never done dev in VBScript before, I'm lost and do not know how to proceed.

3. I've been editing the script in FP, so I can invoke the debugger, and I keep getting errors I don't understand, so can not fix. Again due to my lack of experience in what is what.

4. The table the form saves to is completely different than any of the t/q's linked to the fields in the table. Right now I have no datasource defined for the page, but wonder, for the purpose of saving, if I need to add this save table as the datasource so this will work easier. Just have no clue on this.

If I was implementing with the NavBar I would be at the equivilent of recordset.addnew; recordset.movelast, whenever the form opens, whether my Add New button is clicked or not. Just for clarification, if you did not copy and open the html file, the buttons are: Add New, Clear, Save, Delete, Search. Right now I will be happy if I can get just the first four buttons working. Later I have to overlay a login screen and add another hidden button for reports on this form, which will only display to those with the correct login rights.

Anyway thanks for the input, hope this helps as you look at the code. I can also attach the code from the Access session if you think that will help with analysis.

DBS4M
    Last edited by dbsupport4me; 10-06-05 at 10:20.

After being frustrated with trying inside of Access I went outside and created a straight up .HTML web page. Now I need to be able to get things to work, but have zero experience in FrontPage, .asp, and VBscript.
    www.asp101.com/samples has some good short database examples that might help get you started using ASP with an Access database.
    www.Bullschmidt.com

Back to NavBar

Decided to go back the Access Nav Bar but need to know the following:

1. How do I execute code when one on the Nav Bar buttons is clicked?

Example:
    I the bound table, has several fields which are numeric cross references to other tables/recordsets, so when one scrolls through the records the values do not display as additional lookup/selected processing/properties need to execute and/or be set.

2. How do I lock all the fields if the "AddNew" is not selected?

3. How do I execute code on "AfterUpdate" for fields?

Example:
    I have a field for "Agent" which, when I select on the Access form, autoupdates fields: a.) Supervisor, b.) Call Date, c.) Phone Login. I need the same to happen on the Web Enabled form.

I would appreciate if you have examples of code!!!!

Thanks!

DBS4M
    Last edited by dbsupport4me; 10-10-05 at 11:49.

Work Around

Thanks All,

I finally got a work around for this problem. Got Access to build the page, then copied and modified the NavBar button to do what I want (most of it)

Anyway have the users working until I can get clean code into the page and add the functions I need.

I'll post current solution for discussion when I get a chance.

I still have to get the Afterupdate processing (I know it's called something else in VBS but don't know what yet) to work, so will continue with that once I catch up on my back work.

DBS4M