Unanswered: Error initializing a new server instance (the first instance) on IDS 9.40 TC6

Hello everyone.

I have a problem (see subject) which is getting on my nerves a bit. When I try to init a server instance, the init proccess halts while building the sysmaste db with the following console output:

"C:\PROGRA~1\Informix\bin>REM If OnLine is killed (when running as a service or a
    process) when

C:\PROGRA~1\Informix\bin>REM the sysmaster database is being built, dbaccess con
    tinues to execute

C:\PROGRA~1\Informix\bin>REM the remaining statements in the sysmaster.sql file.
    Since OnLine

C:\PROGRA~1\Informix\bin>REM is not running, ASF has a time out of 15 seconds fo
    r each each

C:\PROGRA~1\Informix\bin>REM connection try. This massive time and the large num
    ber of statements

C:\PROGRA~1\Informix\bin>REM in the sysmaster.sql file, causes dbaccess processe
    s to hang in there.

C:\PROGRA~1\Informix\bin>REM Setting DBACCNOIGN environment variable will cause
    dbaccess to exit when

C:\PROGRA~1\Informix\bin>REM the first error occurs.

C:\PROGRA~1\Informix\bin>REM # Drop/Create smi in the current server instance.

C:\PROGRA~1\Informix\bin>set DBPATH_PREV=

C:\PROGRA~1\Informix\bin>set DBPATH=

C:\PROGRA~1\Informix\bin>dbaccess sysmaster - 0
    mi.1in 1>nul 2>&1
    "

I'm trying to run IDS on a WinXP(SP2 included) machine. The init procecess goes on for a while and i have to kill it because it never completes otherwise.
    I'm initializing a new instance right after the installation of IDS (not from the cmd prompt).

Anybody seen this error before? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Mihael Sedmak

Mihael,

Its been a while since I used Informix on MS Platform, but it might just be that you dont have enough space in your rootdbs to accomadate logical logs, physical log and sysmaster, sysutils databases.

Check you ROOTSIZE, PHYSSIZE, LOGS and LOGSIZE values in the ONCONFIG file.