Unanswered: Security Options; and How to list on lan.

I have been asigned an SQL server, and i'm new to it, so i have some doubts. I have seen there are 2 ways to log in to it (from an application), using the windows loging, or some kind of userid on SQL, and a mixed mode. Can somebody elavorate? Also, what are the UDL files for? Jow do i make the server appear on the sql servers list? Thanks.

EDIT: just found a good info on the security options ... what i don't get is why my server does not appears on browsing for SQL servers (others do).
    Last edited by tsomarp; 10-05-05 at 15:14.

Quote Originally Posted by tsomarp
    I have been asigned an SQL server, and i'm new to it, so i have some doubts. I have seen there are 2 ways to log in to it (from an application), using the windows loging, or some kind of userid on SQL, and a mixed mode. Can somebody elavorate? Also, what are the UDL files for? Jow do i make the server appear on the sql servers list? Thanks.
    Yee-owch! Lots of questions; not much time.

Unsolicited advice: Buy a book; I always recommend SAMS "Microsoft SQL Server 2000 DBA Survival Guide", but there are lots of others out there. Read it.

1. SQL Server supports Windows Authentication (uses your domain credentials) or SQL Authentication (user name and password). The former is always enabled, the latter is enabled as a configuration option. If the installation defaults have not been muddled with AND you are a local administrator on the server, then you should have sysadmin (ie, full administrator) control of the SQL instance. If not, you will need the sa password.

2. UDL files can be used to connect an application to a database with some measure of portability.

3. I assume by your last question that you want to get the SQL instance to appear in your SQL Server Enterprise Manager navigation pane; here's how. From a SQL Server Group node, click on Action / New SQL Server Registration. Enter the name of the server and the connection information.

Good luck; (you'll need some while you gain the experience).

Regards,

hmscott
    Have you hugged your backup today?

yep, got that ... now that you mention, what is the "SA" user? System Admin? is like the administrator account for Windows, right? do i need to be listed to connect from other app?