Unanswered: Help with normalized tables

Hey group,

I have a small problem with a table. I have a table that lists chemicals in the lab. This table contains the following data:
    Area
    Chemical Name
    Company

Since Company and Area can have several repeating entries, the Table Analyzer normalized them into two separate tables, tblArea and tblCompany. This works great except for one thing. If other companies get added on later, the table autonumbers them with the next number. Since reports are based on the autonumber instead of the name, it no longer lists all the names in order. The new ones appear at the end even though they are suppose to be elsewhere.

Is there a way to get the autonumbers to reset or is there a way to tell the report to order by the name instead of the autonumber (though the table containing the data only holds the autonumber). Thanks for any help.

David

Talking

Hey David,

Have you tried going to the report DesignView, then to the Sorting and Grouping, selecting that name for and set to Ascending? That might work. Give it a try.

have a nice one,
    BUD

Bud,
    Nevermind. I just realized that the problem lied in my query. It had the Autonumbers in it, but it didn't query the actual names along with the number. So only the autonumber was getting selected. Added the other fields in and the problem was solved. Thanks for trying to help a confused soul!

David

Quote Originally Posted by geckoinc
    Bud,
    Nevermind. I just realized that the problem lied in my query. It had the Autonumbers in it, but it didn't query the actual names along with the number. So only the autonumber was getting selected. Added the other fields in and the problem was solved. Thanks for trying to help a confused soul!

David
    You're welcome, that's what this site is all about. Glad you solved your situation. Have a nice day.

BUD