Unanswered: Access Report Grouping

I am very much an unguided amateur and I have a report based upon a query that is grouped on Region and Oil_Company. Works fine but I also want to report on Oil_Company over all the Regions. I have created a sub-report that completes a country wide summary by Oil_Company, but this only returns the info on one Oil_Company when it is run within the main report. Is there any way around this conflict in the grouping or must I run the two reports separately?

Provided Answers: 59
    1) The simpliest route is to run as 2 separate distinct reports.

2) An option would be to insert the second report, as a sub report, in the first reports report footer section.

3) Another option is to create a top level report and insert both reports as subreports within that top level report.

If you are just starting off on the Access VBA route I'd keep it really simple - option 1 would be the preferred route in my book

Thanks very much

While option 1 would no doubt be the easiest, there's no fun in easy..... I've tried the sub report route but I think I keep coming up with a grouping problem. As the main report is grouped by Region and Oil Company, with the sub report grouped on Oil Company only and reporting across all the records, this seems to cause conflict and the sub report only shows info for one Oil Company - even though it reports perfectly when run as a standalone report. I don't want to flog a dead horse so if what I'm trying to do really isn't on, or would require a Masters Degree in VBA, then it will be option 1 for me.

Provided Answers: 59
    If option 1 was too easy, then I'd suggest the alternative of a master / top level report with 2 sub reports is worth examining, and preferable for option 2. The one potential problem area is that you are going to loose control of page headings.

Idiot identified

And that idiot would be me. When I reviewed what I had done the problem was that I had created a child/parent field relationship in the sub Report link. As soon as I removed that the sub report performed exactly as advertised. I now have an overall summary in the report header, and the detailed analysis in the body. Thanks very much for the support.