Question Unanswered: Suggestions on VBA for Beginner?

Hi!

Any suggestions on how to learn VBA to develop Access databases? I'm completely new to programming altogether but so far, from various websites, have learned the basics (setting variables, conditional statements, etc...).

My background has been mainly designing databases, therefore, I know of normalization rules etc...but I have yet to develop a database using code.

Are there good books/cds/websites out there that can help a newbie? I tried to find a hands-on training course for VBA but it's either really expensive and will require time off of work or only showing the fundamentals (not exactly at the level which I need to be at).

Thanks for your input and suggestions!

Microsoft Press, Wrox Press, and Que all have a plethora of good texts. Visit their web sites, and take your pick.

Sam

the only possible reply: just do it.
    there really is no way to learn to code other than by coding. it's like riding a bike.

get a book. my preference is Alison Balter - if you want to check out the style, her entire Access-95 book is viewable online here.

...if you like a challenge, just live with that online book. there are one or two errors in the code examples and it's all targetted at now-deprecated-DAO rather than soon-to-be-deprecated-ADO, but that just adds to the fun.

izy
    currently using SS 2008R2

There is no way to learn any program language quicker than trying to do something in it. It's always very hard work at the beginning which is why so many never ever learn....

I'd advise a basic programming course and then start on small procedures , and work up to the bigger ones, and just keep at it !

Books are for reference, not for learning - you need to be shown to begin with and then use internet resource to expand your experience and understanding.

Good luck

Thanks everyone for your advice...I definitely have my worked cut out for me.

I'm in the process of looking for a basic programming course and will look into those reference materials mentioned!

Thanks a bunch!

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by VhbuiA
    Thanks everyone for your advice...I definitely have my worked cut out for me.

I'm in the process of looking for a basic programming course and will look into those reference materials mentioned!

Thanks a bunch!
    Hi,

The best books that I've found to help me to generally get an understanding of VBA, which is what it sounds like you need, my choice is Access 2000 Developers Handbook Vol.1 & 2 by Paul Litwin, Ken Getz and Mike Gilbert published by Sybex. ISBN: 0-7821-2370-8 and ISBN 0-7821-2372-4 respectively. Though as they say, no one book will make you an expert, having a good book with a means of understanding helps. I am no expert by far, but got a whole lot more understanding from this volume of books. A bit advanced for a newbie, but you can get a good feel for it, and then hang in there with this forum too for further assistance as there are some great people here to help out in a pinch. Wish you luck in your endeavors and just hang in there and practice, practice, practice.

have a nice one,
    BUD