Unanswered: Essbase calcs parent for a single child

Hi Guys,

We have been doing some work in Essbase (first time in a while) and come across something we think is strange, although it's probably that we have made a bad assumption in the past ! .........

** If a member X in an Essbase outline has one level 0 child Y. When you lock data into Y, Essbase automatically populates X with the same value.

** Also, if you then delete child Y the value for X is changed to #Missing.

** If you add another child to X, called Z firstly. Locking and sending or even deleting the member Y makes no difference to the parent value X.

**So this means that a parent Members value when it has a sole child will always be changes when the child is changed. If the parent has more than one child it's value will remain unchanged ?

So is this normal or is this down to some hidden application/ database setting ? I had always assumed that the parent would not be changed unless you told the database to calc, or say had dynamic calcs in effect.

It's not essential as we have a work around, but an explanantion would be nice !!!

Kind Regards
    RF

Quote Originally Posted by sqlappboy
    Hi Guys,

We have been doing some work in Essbase (first time in a while) and come across something we think is strange, although it's probably that we have made a bad assumption in the past ! .........

** If a member X in an Essbase outline has one level 0 child Y. When you lock data into Y, Essbase automatically populates X with the same value.

** Also, if you then delete child Y the value for X is changed to #Missing.

** If you add another child to X, called Z firstly. Locking and sending or even deleting the member Y makes no difference to the parent value X.

**So this means that a parent Members value when it has a sole child will always be changes when the child is changed. If the parent has more than one child it's value will remain unchanged ?

So is this normal or is this down to some hidden application/ database setting ? I had always assumed that the parent would not be changed unless you told the database to calc, or say had dynamic calcs in effect.

It's not essential as we have a work around, but an explanantion would be nice !!!

Kind Regards
    RF

Is it possible it has something to do with "Aggregate #missing values". I have been away from Essbase quite a while myself, and once again I need to dive into it.

No, it not that straight forward. The fact that when you enter data inot a sole child, it seems to add it up to the parent automatically rules this out.

I have been using essbase for several years, and I thought that I'd covered most subjects - which is why I am so blown away by this ?
    DAO/ADO/VB.net/VBA/Access2K/Excel2K/SQL2000/Essbase/OFA/Oracle OPM, IM, EAM/Discoverer/ SQLPlus