Red face Unanswered: how to start mysql

Hi, I am a fairly newbie here. I installed mysql4.1 on my computer, but how to use it? How can I start mysql, server and client? I want to learn create table, query, etc. So should I use server or client?

i read the manul, but still so confusion, please help me, many thanks.

hi,
    The best manual of MySQL is the html one with user comments on http://dev.mysql.com/doc.
    your mysql server should start automatically when you start your computer if you hadn't changed the default setting. (see the "start up" list if you are using windows).
    else you should use : "mysqld" or "net start mysql" on windows.

--good luck
    Chagh

Thank you for reply, so I need start server first, and

Thank you for reply, so I need start server first, and create database from the prompt window of the server,right?

so are you running windows or linux?

to start mysql in linux, i use

mysqld_safe &

in windows, i have no idea. being new, you might want to look into a project called xampp. this will install apache, mysql, and php all for you, and it will provide you with a nice little console to start and control everything with.

hi,
    yep! you start the server then you connect to it by "mysql -u username -pPassword"
    then you will choose a database by "\u DBName" or create a new one by "create database DBName" and choosing it, and then you will start working with your database.
    There are many graphical tools that can help you to manage your DB like Query Browser and MySQL Administrator which are downloadable from MySQL AB website (http://www.mysql.com )

--good luck
    Chagh