Unanswered: SQL Server as backend, error w/ transaction logs

I have several front-end Access 97 applications which write data to a SQL Server 2000 database. In viewing the transaction log created in SQL Server, I noticed that the users and their associated host names are incorrect for any transactions written from Access. For example, user1 is on the machine host1, but the transaction log reports the user initiating the query from host2. I assume this is a known bug from within Access or the ODBC connection. Does anyone know of any information about this strange occurrence?

Quote Originally Posted by lisa.shores
    I have several front-end Access 97 applications which write data to a SQL Server 2000 database. In viewing the transaction log created in SQL Server, I noticed that the users and their associated host names are incorrect for any transactions written from Access. For example, user1 is on the machine host1, but the transaction log reports the user initiating the query from host2. I assume this is a known bug from within Access or the ODBC connection. Does anyone know of any information about this strange occurrence?
    hi Lisa

You using linked tables by any chance?

EDIT - and\ or DSNs?
    Last edited by pootle flump; 10-17-05 at 12:26.
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.

Yes, we are.

Quote Originally Posted by lisa.shores
    Yes, we are.
    Ok - open a linked table in design view and click on properties. You will see the connection string used in the Description field. You'll note that the WSID parameter is included. Access fills this in when you link a table. Also, if you create a file DSN it writes it into there too (open a dsn in notepad to see).

Obviously, this means the WSID travels with the app - the ID of the WS that created the link is passed to SQL Server. You can't delete it and if you remove it from the DSN it writes it into the table again. The only way I have been able to get rid is with the following code. If there is no WSID parameter hard written to the table description field then Access will provide the true value. Run this once and each time you link a table

Code:
    Sub TDefConn()

Dim TDef As dao.TableDef
    	Dim db As dao.Database

Set db = CurrentDb

For Each TDef In db.TableDefs

If Nz(TDef.Connect, "") <> "" Then

TDef.Connect = Replace(TDef.Connect, ";WSID=TheWSID", "")

TDef.RefreshLink

End If

Next TDef

Set TDef = Nothing
    	db.Close
    	Set db = Nothing

End Sub
    HTH
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump

BTW - you can check the affect of this by running sp_who or sp_who2 or just querying sysprocesses before and after the change

HTH
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump