Unanswered: how to make automated SQL queries - user expiration

Hello everyone.
    First of all i'd like to mention that this forum has been extremely helpful to me!

I run a userbased subscription website. MYSQL and PHP

on the user table I have fields such as F_NAME etc.... and also an EXPIRE feild.

When the user tries to logon and goes to the logon script checkuser.php they cannot logon when EXPIRE is less than now()

So - here is my dillemma:
    For a user to find out that their subscription period has expired, they must try to logon and then they'll get the message.

But how do i make it so they automatically receive an email when their subscription date has passed by?

This must be a totally seperate process that has to run on the server I assume. Maybe a batch script of some sort that goes to the MYSQL database and checks????

How does this usually work?

Thanks
    Noam

you are kind of in luck. you are wanting what is called a "trigger", and the newest mysql 5 is supposed to have triggers. the downside is upgrading.

triggers are automated responses that the mysql server does. they have a down side, the more triggers, the slower your server, so its a give and take as far as they go.

yep - i didn't know what it was called but yes - a trigger is what i needed.

But I refuse to upgrade to mysql 5.
    I'm using mysql 4 I think and it works fine so I don't want to try to "fix it if it aint broken"

Also, the mysql database is already pretty slow. I have over 5000 rows in my main table and it takes about 3-4 seconds to run a query on those....

I don't want things getting any slower