Unanswered: How difficult is it to make a sychronisationfunction?

How difficult is it to make a sychronisationfunction?
    I have a meetings database. Sometimes the meetings are enterd localy and need to be sychronized with the main file. Is this hard to do? where do i start. If you need more info on the situation, just ask!

Thank you for your reply!

Joost

My opinion is it is not worth it. Syncronisation is not as simple as writing a function, there is a whole nother technology/logic/set of rules regarding synchronizing.

It is possible but would require a formidable effort.

My advise is to either use SQL Server or write all of the server-side scripts to view/edit/manipulate your database online. That way there is only one copy and you dont have to sync/download/upload it all the time.

There is some software out there that will sync an access DB but i dont have the title.

Provided Answers: 1
    Synching your offline databases could be very simple, or ludicrously difficult. It depends on why, how and what you intend to synchronize. If we're talking taking attendance or something like that, and you just want to import the client data, that's fairly simple. If you want to do other things, like generate insurance quotes and integrate the quotes into your primary database, that could excruciatingly difficult to manage.

What do you intend to use this for?
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

project information.
    an employee goes with his laptop to a destionation for a meeting. On his way back in for example the plane, he filles in the results in the local database. When he comes back home he sychronizes the information with the central file.

so your working with:
    - company information
    - meeting information
    - project information
    - minute information

Will it be all new information or do you have to update information already in the database? Inserting new stuff is far, FAR easier than updating current...

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy
    Will it be all new information or do you have to update information already in the database? Inserting new stuff is far, FAR easier than updating current...
    Yes i thought of that as well.
    Good thing is that mostly the data will be new.
    Im still thinking of situations where it ould happen that data needs to be changed.

maybe i can limit things, writing a organizationprocess for the users saying you can only insert new and not update current.

thanks for the quick reply btw

That may be wise. Allowing updates to current information is a "true" synchronization. That is a whole different can o' worms. For instance, what happens if someone makes critical updates to a given company's information then a field agent comes back and wipes it all out with his "update"? How do you manage the actual synch? Dumping new stuff in is pretty easy though, so long as it isn't key dependent.

lets say its inserting only,

i do i start?
    do i need to make an compare function ? or control it with some kind of attribut?

for exampe:
    i have a company table.
    code----name----
    1----name x
    2----name y
    3----name z

a field agent comes back and made a new company, but when he left, there were only 2 companys in the central file. An collegue made a new one.
    But on his trip, the filedagent had created a new company as well. His local database looks like this:
    code----name----
    1----name x
    2----name y
    3----name A

The agent gets home, sychronizes and the result is:
    1----name x
    2----name y
    3----name z
    4----name A

All relating tables need to be updated as well.
    for example the minutes information. A minute can involve a company. So if the company id changes, it needs to change as well in the minutes table.
    Last edited by ice-9; 11-02-05 at 10:02.

Think of the keys on the client database as being temporary. Create a new record in your "main" database for each record on the client's machine, but don't import the primary key, as that obviously wont work. You can use the primary key on the client's machine to reference all of the other data that needs to be imported.