Question Unanswered: HTTP session scope

I am trying to discover how the HTTP server maintains sessions, if indeed it does. I can find lots of information on db connection pooling and database authentication methods but as a developer I am only interested in how a users session information is preserved between browser requests.

Specifically I am looking for clarification on how I can maintain session context information, for use in triggers, for a user connecting through the HTTP server using basic authentication.

If a new session is created for each browser request then I will have to set the context on each call. If the request process applies cached session information to a pooled connection then what are the limits of this information and its duration?

I realise this could be a rather extensive topic so any alternative suggestions or pointers to useful documentation would be greatfully received.

Where the Surf Meets the Turf @Del Mar, CA
    Provided Answers: 1
    It may be because I am sorely sleep deprived, but what relevance does your question (& possible answers) have to do with Oracle?
    Any solution for you has minimal or non-existant Oracle content.
    Google is your friend it you are willing and able to use it.
    Amazon has dozens of books on this topic.
    You can lead some folks to knowledge, but you can not make them think.
    The average person thinks he's above average!
    For most folks, they don't know, what they don't know.
    Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.

Since all our application is dynamically generated by Oracle and we use the Oracle HTTP server to process these pages, the only non-Oracle element is the fact that we use IE to display the pages. I consider myself to be developing pretty much entirely within products supported by or supplied by Oracle and so thought the Oracle community might be able to help as there are no other obvious agencies to turn to. Sorry for wasting your time.

Quote Originally Posted by robdearden
    all our application is dynamically generated by Oracle and we use the Oracle HTTP server to process these pages
    A hint: "Oracle HTTP server" is in fact Apache httpd. Another hint: HTTP is a stateless protocol and as such is incapable of "maintaining session context."

Typically it's the application server that maintains session context.

Quote Originally Posted by robdearden
    Oracle community might be able to help as there are no other obvious agencies to turn to
    There's that other agency that usually helps a lot: http://tahiti.oracle.com

I was aware that the HTTP server was Apache but assumed that my issue would be more to do with how mod_plsql maintains and creates Oracle sessions when requests are made. Does this mean that mod_plsql is an Apache generic module and not specific to Oracle? Many thanks for your hints.

Where the Surf Meets the Turf @Del Mar, CA
    1) mod_plsql is very much Oracle specific.
    2) The original post made NO mention of mod_plsql; so you could have been using mod_perl or any number of other plugins to Apache.
    3) How a browser maintain persistance between page is VERY much application dependent.
    4) Given the seeming fact that your application does maintain application persistance between pages, you should ask those who designed & implemented the application about the details WRT which mechanism is/was implemented.
    5) Given the paucity of details in the original post; I incorrectly assumed this was yet another J2EE application (ab)using an Oracle databse.
    You can lead some folks to knowledge, but you can not make them think.
    The average person thinks he's above average!
    For most folks, they don't know, what they don't know.
    Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.