Thread: Help needed

Red face Unanswered: Help needed

Hi all. First let me say I am self taught on the computer, have had some classes here and there, but learned most stuff hands on. I can write html and work on creating websites, but have little experience with access data base. With that said.........

I work for a non profit organization. I plan events and keep track of expenses I have to spend for these events. I need a data base, to keep track of all the bills I receive. There is a catch though, the vendor I order from, will send me a total bill. However, I am the main office and order for 10 branches (other offices). So after I get the bills I allocate them. I break down the bill saying what amount of the bill goes to each office.

So I need a few things, a data base which will help me track all of these expenses, by year and event. For example, we have a run in December and a Walk in May. So I may want to run a report asking for expenses for the walk in 2005. Or the run in 2004. Or all in 2005. But if it is possible, I want to identify what each office has in expenses. For example, one bill is $2000.00 but $200 is for Office 1, $100 is office 2.

Does any of this make sense. I started creating a data base many times. Creating fields like year, event, item, quantity, price for each item, on and so forth. But I have no idea what to do about breaking the bill down. If it is $2000, and the shipping is $20, and the order needs broken down between 10 offices, but the shipping will be broken down bases on the quantity each office ordered. See now I have confused myself.

I just don't know where to begin and how to get this work and have been reading online for weeks now. Any suggestions???

Oxfordshire, UK
    Hi There,

I'm sorry to say that your spec is too vague to give a definitive answer. This isn't about the nuts and bolts of programming, but the 'concept'. I appreciate that modelling a business in a db can be a complex and daunting task, however your best bet is to work from the top down. Presumably your organisation has been running for a while now (without a database), and you'll have produced reports for your offices, main office (yourself) and the tax man. These will define the scope of the data and the scope of your new database.

At the other end any data entry spreadsheet or accounting data would be a good starting point - in fact any 'legacy' programs (including paper records) will give you some clues as to how to approach this. Also, the northwind.mdb sample database that ships with access might help. It's basic, but could give some ideas about financial data and how to process it.

After that you should be able to frame your questions on this, or any other forum, in a way that people can help. If you can find a guru locally, even better.

Good Luck

Richmond, Virginia USA
    Provided Answers: 19
    MyNewFlavour is exactly right, Becca24jg! The biggest single problem that I see here and on other forums is not a lack of technical skills, vis a vis actual programming/coding, but the inability of the poster to clearly explain what he/she needs to accomplish. The first step in developing any appplication is to sit down and do a flow chart of what you want to accomplish, and then include it in your posting. That way people not familiar with your particular industry will be better able to advise you.

Good luck with your project!
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007