Unanswered: equivelent to SQL Servers INFORMATION_SCHEMA

Hi

Does Access have a equivelent to SQL Servers INFORMATION_SCHEMA tables?

I am writing a application that needs to extract information from a access database like, table names, relationships etc..

Thanks Wayne

Provided Answers: 59
    It isn't going to be identical, but Access does provide a means of accessign the information. depends on whether you are using ADO or DAO.

for ADO most of the objects / collectiosn you wan tot retrieve are in the ADOX library extension. Youc an iterate through the varius collections to find the data that you require. I had a look a long while ago, but struggled to retrieve the data type - but that was a mapping issue (connverting from the visible represenataion to access internal storage values).

It can be done, its on my 'to do list' to improve the documentor function, however as I haven't won the lottery yet I just gotta keep working on fee paying work.

Is there no way to do this using SQL?

I have a utility that extracts meta data from databases. it works by executing hardcoded SQL for each database type. It currently works with SQL Server, firebird, interbase and oracle.

But now i can't find a simular method with access. I saw that access have system tables. like MSysObjects. So i can write something like:

SELECT name as tablename
    FROM MSysObjects
    WHERE type = 1
    AND flags = 0

but i can't seem to find a way of finding field information.

Quote Originally Posted by wayneb
    Hi

Does Access have a equivelent to SQL Servers INFORMATION_SCHEMA tables?

I am writing a application that needs to extract information from a access database like, table names, relationships etc..

Thanks Wayne
    MS Access has no direct equivalent of the SQL Server INFORMATION_SCHEMA.

Your best bet is to write straight DAO code.

Accessing MS Access' system tables is a losing proposition, IMO.