Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Unanswered: report needs to only show false records

Hey all,

First, thanks for all your help on my last few problems. I am learning a lot.

My new challenge is a report that I already have working. I have 54 records total. Out of those 54 records there are 9 that have a field that is false. My boss does not want to look at all 54 records to get to the 9 records that are false.

If I put this requirement in the query that I am running to get the records I only get the 9 records and the totals are not correct on my report.

how can I show only certin records in my report?

Is there a way to make them visible and all of the other records not visible?

Thanks in advance for any ideas on this.

Richard.

Provided Answers: 1
    What information does your report need to have? it sounds like you want to compare overall totals to "incorrect" records. Consider using domain functions (dcount, dsum etc) to pull your "overall" totals.
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

nope. My totals are all working awesome. What I need to do is show the entire record base on one field of the record being true. If the value of the one field is false i don't want to see the record on the report.

BUT!!

I need the query that the report is pulling from needs to pull all the records.

Thanks.
    Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by rmousir
    What I need to do is show the entire record base on one field of the record being true.
    uhhh... what?

If the value of the one field is false i don't want to see the record on the report.

BUT!!

I need the query that the report is pulling from needs to pull all the records.
    why would you need to pull all the records if you're only going to display a fraction of them?

Well the report is for the boss. Several times a day my team will enter a bunch of info into the table.

I am new at this so if my wording is wrong please correct me. that info that is entered into the table is a record, right? Every time we enter a record we have to do it in a certan time frame. If we are good the field, CONFIRM, in the record is marked false. If we are out of the time frame the field, CONFIRM, in the record is marked true.

My report which runs off the query will pull all records from the table for this month. My report totals are all there from pulling all of the records.

Right now my report shows all of the records that are pulled from the query for the month entered. My boss does not want to see the records that we done with in the time window (CONFIRM marked false). He only wants to see the records where the tech missed the time window (CONFIRM marked true)

So as a work around I have the records sorted so the 'out of time window' are at the top so he does not have to read through 80 or 90 records but he would rather have just the 12 or so records that are out of the time window so he can deal with that.

Not sure this makes sense to you. Get it?

I am stuck on this one.

Richard.

Ok... so why stops you from using the criteria you already mentioned? Your original and last post are pretty confusing. You say you only want to show records that are false, of which there are 9. Then you say it is a problem that only 9 records showed up. I think we're missing some logic here.

LOL.

When I run the report with out the criteria on the query I get all 80 records. Cool. I get all of my totals from that. But if I use the criteria 'True' in the query I only get the 9 records. These 9 records are what my boss wants to see but he wants the totals for the whole month.

My totals on the report need to be the totals for the whole month. The records on the report need to the just the records that were out of the time window.

ex. feilds

timein timeout dollaramount batches tech CONFIRM
    9:15 9:20 $115.00 2 Rob
    9:45 10:20 158.00 4 Pete TRUE
    2:00 2:10 100.00 4 Chris

my report totals need to show:
    10 batches
    $373.00
    1 out of time window

This way the boss can see the totals and he can got see Pete to find out why he is slacking. LOL.

Does this help?

Currently my report shows all totals and all records

ex.

10 batches
    $373.00
    1 out of time window
    9:15 9:20 $115.00 2 Rob
    2:00 2:10 100.00 4 Chris

Hepe this helps.

Richard.

chiming in on the tail end but if you ran a conditional query that just asked for "True" and then create a report off of this query that shows the deatails for all "true" records in a 'detail' section of the report. I would then just create 3 formula boxes in the main header of the report such as: 1) do a count formula that would count all records in your records table 2) a sum formula for the total dollars of the total records table 3) and a countif "True" for records in your total records table.
    I am not 100% sure but I think this may work. I am sure there is prob a shorter way to do this but I think this is what you are asking for.

That is how I get all of my totals for the report from the query. That works pretty good. I have that in the report header.

The detail part of the report is showing every record that the query shows. I only want the 9 records to show in the detail. Is there a way to make a record visible and not visible?

the only other suggestion I have would be to create another query for only 'True" records and then use that for the detail sestion of your report. You can pull from as many query's you want for a report. When you use this new query it will show all the records from it, (which will only be 'True" ones since you have filtered them out) your other formulas on the report will not change becasue they are pulling from a different query. Using this new query is like using the 'sumif()' command in excel.
    Hope this helps.

Ok. I created a second query that will run for just the 'TRUE' records. There are 9. How do I tell the report to display those nine records in the details field of the report? Is there a properties for that?

Provided Answers: 59
    You should be able to cover both report requirements within the same physical report & query providign the sorting / grouping remians the same

the trick? call the report with a parameter, or drag the parameter from another form, which remains open whilst the report is running.

For ease lets assume yuou decide to use the second option
    have a control on that form (called frmParams) that is a checkbox, with something like 'report all records' - call the control say ckbReportAll

in the reports on print event place some code
    if forms!frmParams.ckbReportAll=False then
    'we need to check for a condition
    if <condition>=true then
    cancel=true 'in the detail 'format' / detail 'print' cancel=true inhibits printing
    or
    cancel=false
    endif

that way round you keep the report design consistent

HTH

That looks pretty cool. Is that only for printing the report???

I don't know that the report will ever be printed. Just viewed.

Printing to the screen is still printing, works either way. I would probably go the subreport route for what you're describing though.

I figured there was an easier way.... LOL How did 'Healdem' suggestion work?