Unanswered: Deleting Records from a table

Hi

I'm trying to deleterecords from one table. In the query there are 2 tables both joined. I get an error message come on saying

"Specify The Table Containing The Records you want to Delete"

Below is the query in SQL

DELETE tblStockRequired.StockCode, tblStockRequired.StockQTY, tblStockRequired.OrderNumber
    FROM tblOrderCompleted INNER JOIN tblStockRequired ON (tblOrderCompleted.OrderNumber = tblStockRequired.OrderNumber) AND (tblOrderCompleted.StockCode = tblStockRequired.StockCode) AND (tblOrderCompleted.QTY = tblStockRequired.StockQTY);

I want ot delete all records from tblStockRequired which match up with tblOrderCompleted.

Thanks in Advanced

Provided Answers: 59
    you can use a delete query with a join, however the tbalke defitnion and order is critical

Im guessing you need to change the join to refer to tblStockRequired in place of tblOrderCompleted

DELETE tblStockRequired.StockCode, tblStockRequired.StockQTY, tblStockRequired.OrderNumber
    FROM tblOrderCompleted INNER JOIN tblStockRequired ON (tblOrderCompleted.OrderNumber = tblStockRequired.OrderNumber) AND (tblOrderCompleted.StockCode = tblStockRequired.StockCode) AND (tblOrderCompleted.QTY = tblStockRequired.StockQTY);

In effect the JET query analyser chickes out and doesn't try to work which table is actually being referred. Incidently it depends on the SQL but some theorists say its delete * from tblStockRequired......
    ANSI SQL uses another form
    delete from tblStockRequired......

Hi i just tried this and it works

Thanks for your help

DELETE tblStockRequired.*
    FROM tblStockRequired
    WHERE OrderNumber & " " & StockCode & " " & StockQTY IN (SELECT OrderNumber & " " & StockCode & " " & QTY FROM tblOrderCompleted);