Unanswered: Windows Server configuration for 300 GB DB

Hi,

What should be ideal windows server configuration to support 300 GB database in SQL Server 2000 & 2005? I mean number of processors, RAM, etc.

Thanks

Prashant

Quote Originally Posted by prashant_bharti
    Hi,

What should be ideal windows server configuration to support 300 GB database in SQL Server 2000 & 2005? I mean number of processors, RAM, etc.

Thanks

Prashant
    The size of your database is not necessarily going to be the key driver for your operating system configuration. You need to consider many other factors in your decision. In no particular order these might be:

1. Does the system need to be highly available (clustered OS)?
    2. How many users will simultaneously access the database?
    3. How frequently will the data be updated?
    4. How is the data updated (transactionally, in bulk)?
    5. How is the data accessed (single rows, large queries, combination)?
    6. How much of the data needs to be readily accessible (ie, how much of the database is really being used at any given point in time)?
    7. What kind of budget do you have to operate with?
    8. What kind of backup strategy will you employ (ie, SAN backup, backup to disk, backup to tape, network backup)?

Perhaps most importantly, you need to understand what the business expects in terms of these parameters:
    1. Performance
    2. Reliability/Availablity
    3. Scalability
    4. Recoverability

You need to put these questions down and set them before the business "owners" and really make an effort to understand their needs and wants (ie, priorities). Then you need to document all of this in order to assure that everyone understands what decisions were made and why.

Regards,

hmscott
    Have you hugged your backup today?

Thanks Scott. Can you please give me some idea. My answers inline.

1. Does the system need to be highly available (clustered OS)?
    A. Between Medium and low. It is a Data Warehouse.
    2. How many users will simultaneously access the database?
    A. Not more than 5 for reporting. 1 for loading data.
    3. How frequently will the data be updated?
    A. Nightly. Approximately 10 MB.
    4. How is the data updated (transactionally, in bulk)?
    A. Both 50-50%
    5. How is the data accessed (single rows, large queries, combination)?
    A. Combination, mainly by SQL reports (SQL & SP)
    6. How much of the data needs to be readily accessible (ie, how much of the database is really being used at any given point in time)?
    A. 2 years (Not more than 5 GB).
    7. What kind of budget do you have to operate with?
    A. Could not get this question.
    8. What kind of backup strategy will you employ (ie, SAN backup, backup to disk, backup to tape, network backup)?
    A. Disk & Tape

Thanks a lot

Prashant

Quote Originally Posted by prashant_bharti
    Thanks Scott. Can you please give me some idea.

Prashant
    This does not seem like an exceptionally large or complex database. Where did you come up with the number 300 GB? In your answers, you state that the database will not grow to more than 5 GB?

Anyway, if it's not going to be more than 5 GB, you can do with just about any size machine, even a simple 1-way will work unless you are performing a lot of complex analysis.

You will want at least 3 drive bays, but more likely 4-5. Not so much for space, but for the ability to spread your data and log files across separate physical disks. With 4 drives, configure 2 RAID-1 drives. With 5 drives, configure a RAID-1 and a 3-drive RAID-5.

So long as you are running a 100MB switched network you should be able to back up to a remote server over the network. 5 GB won't take that much time provided there is ample network capacity.

I would build it on a Windows 2003 server and load SQL 2000 (be sure to patch to SP4 asap).

As for memory, I wouldn;t touch anything less than 512 MB these days. You would probably be better off with 2 GB RAM.

Frankly, there are better assessments that you can get from reading some books (Inside SQL Server being a good starting point). But this just doesn't seem like a big operation/deal to me.

Regards,

hmscott
    Have you hugged your backup today?