Unanswered: Scheduled Job permissions question

Hi,

I have a SQL server 2000, and I want a specific domain group to be able to see, start, stop and manage scheduled jobs. The domain group is only able to see jobs that it owns and none others.

How can I fix this? I want them to see all jobs and manage them, without giving this ability to any other users.

Is there a way to do this without being sys admin?

Best wishes!

Scheduled Job Permissions Question

Quote Originally Posted by droiddr
    Hi,

I have a SQL server 2000, and I want a specific domain group to be able to see, start, stop and manage scheduled jobs. The domain group is only able to see jobs that it owns and none others.

How can I fix this? I want them to see all jobs and manage them, without giving this ability to any other users.

Is there a way to do this without being sys admin?

Best wishes!
    We have just recently solved this issue by making a simple table-driven .NET C# app to select jobs from msdb..sysjobs where the job_id's and windows user id's match up with our table entries.

I am a Production DBA and manage several servers where the application owners need to be able to run jobs in off-hours. Since the only way to allow them access to do this is by compromising security, we developed a simple application that performs its privileged access connection in the application, but only allows the users that are in a specific Windows Group to start the application and run jobs listed in the table.

The set of tables contain related records for the Windows UserID matched against Job_ID's. We have another column that contains the connections strings to use to connect to the various servers that he/she may need access to.

This seems to be working out very well.

Hopefully this will help.

Marty B

Well that is an interesting solution to the security issue.

I will consider it, and then perhaps build an app to do this kind of thing.

Thank you for the reply, it helps

Later