Unanswered: INSERT INTO... stopped working today? with no change..

Code:
    Dim i1 As Long
    For i1 = 0 To lst.ListCount - 1
       If lst.Selected(i1) Then

stmntAddRef = "INSERT INTO tblStatements ( [Reference#] )"
        stmntAddRef = stmntAddRef & " SELECT Main.[Reference#]"
        stmntAddRef = stmntAddRef & " FROM Main"
        stmntAddRef = stmntAddRef & " WHERE Main.[Reference#]=" & lst.ItemData(i1) & ";"

stmntUpdate = "UPDATE tblStatements SET tblStatements.StatementNumber = '" & Forms!frmCreateInvoice!txtStatementNumber & "'"
        stmntUpdate = stmntUpdate & " WHERE (((tblStatements.[Reference#])=" & lst.ItemData(i1) & "));"

DoCmd.SetWarnings (False)
      DoCmd.RunSQL stmntAddRef
      DoCmd.RunSQL stmntUpdate
    DoCmd.SetWarnings (True)
    lst.ItemData(i1) returns the correct criteria

Nothing has changed.. and this has always worked. Does anyone see anything wrong with this?

Quote Originally Posted by Kasco
    Code:
    Dim i1 As Long
    For i1 = 0 To lst.ListCount - 1
    If lst.Selected(i1) Then

stmntAddRef = stmntAddRef & " WHERE Main.[Reference#]=" & lst.ItemData(i1) & ";"

stmntUpdate = "UPDATE tblStatements SET tblStatements.StatementNumber = '" & Forms!frmCreateInvoice!txtStatementNumber & "'"
    stmntUpdate = stmntUpdate & " WHERE (((tblStatements.[Reference#])=" & lst.ItemData(i1) & "));"

DoCmd.RunSQL stmntAddRef
    DoCmd.RunSQL stmntUpdate
    DoCmd.SetWarnings (True)
    lst.ItemData(i1) returns the correct criteria

Nothing has changed.. and this has always worked. Does anyone see anything wrong with this?
    Hi

Pleas, please get rid of the set warnings - try
    Code:
    CurrentDb.Execute stmntAddRef, dbFailOnError
    instead. Setwarnings does lots more things you really don't want.

Anyhoo - add a line:

Code:
    Debug.Print stmntAddRef
    Your SQL will now be written to the Immediate window. Check it looks about right. Then copy the bit from "SELECT ...." onwards, pop into a query in the QBE, run and see what happens.
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.

Thanks for the quick reply...

after all the headaches... it turned out that the link to the table had to be refreshed. I don't understand how or why... but all I did was delete the link then reestablish it and now everything works as it did yesterday and months before.

As far as the Setwarnings section... I am only doing that so the user is not prompted about appending the records. If there is another way around that is better I would definitely use, I am just unaware of a better way.

after all the headaches... it turned out that the link to the table had to be refreshed. I don't understand how or why... but all I did was delete the link then reestablish it and now everything works as it did yesterday and months before.
    Sounds like the BE schema changed...

As far as the Setwarnings section... I am only doing that so the user is not prompted about appending the records. If there is another way around that is better I would definitely use, I am just unaware of a better way
    You can bet your sweet bippy there is:
    Code:
    DoCmd.RunSQL stmntAddRef
    DoCmd.RunSQL stmntUpdate
    DoCmd.SetWarnings (True)
    No no no
    Code:
    CurrentDb.Execute stmntAddRef, dbFailOnError
    CurrentDb.Execute stmntUpdate, dbFailOnError
    Yes yes yes

If you want to avoid DAO you can, I think, use the Application.SetOption method too - but I can't totally remember

At the minimum ALWAYS include an error trap and ALWAYS make sure you SetWarnings False in that if EVER you decide to use it - it does so much more than suppress insert and update messages. If ever you think "hmm - I wonder why Access isn't prompting me to save when I close stuff?" then check the SetWarnings value.

HTH
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump

Yes if that linked object is changed by adding fields to it or ( if it is an excel link) by changing the worksheet then that is what will happen. Thats the first thing to look for when in that situation. I would like to hear more about options to setwarnings also

As far as the Setwarnings section... I am only doing that so the user is not prompted about appending the records. If there is another way around that is better I would definitely use, I am just unaware of a better way.

Quote Originally Posted by WilliamS
    I would like to hear more about options to setwarnings also
    Ok dokey.

You can use the CurrentDb.Execute method using the dbFailOnError constant i.e.
    Code:

CurrentDb.Execute "(INSERT INTO A (B) Values ('C')", dbFailOnError
    You get an error message if it fails but no messages of the "You sure you want to do this?" variety.

Or you can play around with Accesses options:
    Code:
    Application.SetOption "confirm action queries", False
    DoCmd.RunSQL "(INSERT INTO A (B) Values ('C')"	
    Application.SetOption "confirm action queries", True
    HTH
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump