Unanswered: CLOB 4000 chars limitation

Hi.

it's trouble maker Diego again :-)
    I'm working a php application that should be cross database.
    We don't have problems with SQL Server, but Oracle have some limitations.

For example, what can I do with fields longer than 4000 characters?
    I use clob fields, but I have some INSERT statements that don't work.
    Is there anything I can do for insert strings longer than 4000 chars?
    I want to use INSERT statements not loaders :-)

Thanks again!

Provided Answers: 4
    Do you have a car? Did you ever have to take it to the mechanic? If so, what did you tell him? Was it: "My car doesn't work", and then you went home, leaving poor mechanic to guess what might be wrong with the car? I somehow doubt it ...

So why did you say "some insert statements don't work"? What does that mean? Did you get any error message(s)?

With such a diagnostics, and knowing that hard disk is a bookcase, folder is a drawer, file is a notebook, table is drawn in this notebook, and column is limited by paper size, the only suggestion is to take scissors and cut your fields into smaller pieces so that they fit cells in the notebook table.

P.S. This table will show you datatype limitations in Oracle.

P.P.S. This page will show you step-by-step procedure how to store values longer than 4000 characters into the CLOB column.

P.P.P.S. I was just kidding about the cars, drawers and scissors.

Hi Littlefoot.

Thanks for your answer.
    I need to use it with PHP, and that's example is made with java.
    I'm using ADODB (it's a PHP abstraction layer) and there is a method that let me do what I want. It's UpdateClob() method.
    But if you want to make a INSERT, first you have to use NULL and then use UpdateClob().

Thanks a lot,
    Diego.-

Quote Originally Posted by Littlefoot
    Do you have a car? Did you ever have to take it to the mechanic? If so, what did you tell him? Was it: "My car doesn't work", and then you went home, leaving poor mechanic to guess what might be wrong with the car? I somehow doubt it ...

So why did you say "some insert statements don't work"? What does that mean? Did you get any error message(s)?

With such a diagnostics, and knowing that hard disk is a bookcase, folder is a drawer, file is a notebook, table is drawn in this notebook, and column is limited by paper size, the only suggestion is to take scissors and cut your fields into smaller pieces so that they fit cells in the notebook table.

P.S. This table will show you datatype limitations in Oracle.

P.P.S. This page will show you step-by-step procedure how to store values longer than 4000 characters into the CLOB column.

P.P.P.S. I was just kidding about the cars, drawers and scissors.