Unhappy Unanswered: Access runs hidden

running Access XP 2002, sometimes get Access running hidden. And, irritatingly, it's happening more often lately. Seems to happen only sometimes. Then, the next time I (or client) double clicks on database shortcut, the db gets sucked into the hidden environment. Yuck...
    Apologies in advance - this may be very simple, but nothing on Google!

TIA

-jtp

I have seen this happen many times and for me....it's always been due to an error in VBA coding. Most usually when encountering recursive code and you run out of Stack Space.

Check your code. Try going into the VB Editor and selecting the menu items:

Debug | Compile {your DB name}

Environment:
    Self Taught In ALL Environments.....And It Shows!

Hmmm...

Thanks for the reply!

Ok - could well be. This app has tons of code. However, it always happens on close - access goes away, yet stays as a process in task manager, almost like an OLE server....
    -jtp

It may then be that something is still open (in use) and is not closed properly. Perhaps a DAO or ADO connection. Ensure that all open connections and or links are properly closed.

Environment:

A bit different perhaps - heres the exact details...

Ok - I probably wasn't very clear - so here's the way it happens:
    I run my app, which shows up as process 6096. Then I use the File: Exit menu item to leave. While access is gone from the screen and taskbar, it stays as process 6096 in task manager, with a bunch of generic files open (common controls, etc). Then, if I double click on the database file again, it runs, but gets captured by the hidden access, and so is not usable. In fact to close it, I have to rudely terminate the process. Any ideas? (I don't have a debug: compile option)...
    Here's the list of files that are owned by the hidden process (before I re-open the databse app itself by double clicking:
    =================================
    F:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\x86_Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls_6595b64144ccf1df_6.0.2600.2180_x-ww_a84f1ff9
    F:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\x86_Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls_6595b64144ccf1df_6.0.2600.2180_x-ww_a84f1ff9
    F:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VBA\VBA6\VBE6.DLL
    F:\Documents and Settings\JTP\Application Data\Microsoft\Access\System.mdw
    F:\Documents and Settings\JTP\Application Data\Microsoft\Access\System.ldb
    F:\WINDOWS\system32\stdole2.tlb
    G:\jtp\My Documents
    F:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Office10\MSO.DLL
    F:\Program Files\Microsof Office\Office10\MSACC.OLB
    F:\DOCUME~\JTP\LOCALS~!\Temp\JETECC4.tmp
    ==================================
    The mystery continues!

-jtp

I do understand your situation. ProcessID 6096 (which was issued to your MS Access) remains as an active task. Check the items suggested. Perhaps your mystery may then be solved.

Environment:

Hmm -how to check?

Thanks for the update Lynx!

- but (without being a dolt) - how do you check for DAO (don't use ADO) open connections when Access is a process, but not a visible task/app....

TIA!

Access always becomes a process when started. You can check your DAO code when Access is not hidden.

Environment:

DAO - still elusive

I've set up the db as a split back/front end. I'm using dao recordsets fairly commonly, but in each case I'm closing them as in: rst.close
    And, i'm always using currentdb, not opening another.

So, not sure how to find what the culprit is. You'd think that using File : quit or close would actually close Access....

Provided Answers: 59
    looking at the list of files from the hidden process it suggests to me that is a form or something in that form which is the culprit (as the common controls are open). As you also have an ole process open it suggests to me that it could be what ever you are instantiating with that ole process.

HTH