Unanswered: Add multiple columns with ALTER TABLE

I have created a table with one column. I want to add columns to the table so I have tried:
    ALTER TABLE tablename ADD COLUMN column1 real, column2 real

I get a syntax error. I can add one column without problems. Can I use the ALTER TABLE command to add two or more columns?

Thanks for the help.

You're right. Add column allows one column entry, including the field name, type, and any constraints that may be applied to it.

Quote Originally Posted by ByteRyder52
    You're right. Add column allows one column entry, including the field name, type, and any constraints that may be applied to it.
    That is incorrect, byterider. You can add multiple columns/constraints/etc with a single alter statement.

For example, the following code will create a table with 1 column and then add 2 more columns using a single alter table.
    Code:
    CREATE TABLE test( col1 int );
    ALTER TABLE test ADD COLUMN col2 int, ADD COLUMN col3 int;
    gjc, you just need to put 'ADD COLUMN' for each separate column you want to add.
    See the Postgres docs! (rtfm)

Slush,
    You're right, my bad. The documentation, which I read before posting, states ADD COLUMN allows "a column" to be added, not mentioning multiple columns, nor does it provide syntax for adding multiple columns. I ran a couple of tests before my prior posting and did not hit on the correct syntax, so was unable to do the multiple column add. Given my read of the documentation and the testing I did, I posted my prior response.

Thanks for all of the help.