Thread: Beginner Help

Unanswered: Beginner Help

Hi, I am a newbie to Oracle. I downlaoded Oracle 10g. I want to get into SQL PLus but it keeps asking for the username and password. Which password exactly is this? The one used for oracle.com ? Should i uninstall and reinstall oracle 10g? I guess my real question is how can I configure this oracle? Can anyone help

Where the Surf Meets the Turf @Del Mar, CA
    Provided Answers: 1
    By RTFM, you can help yourself.
    You can find all the Fine Manuals at http://tahiti.oracle.com

P.S.
    Oracle database is NOT the typical point & click GUI based Microslop s/w.
    You can lead some folks to knowledge, but you can not make them think.
    The average person thinks he's above average!
    For most folks, they don't know, what they don't know.
    Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.

Provided Answers: 4
    It is a good habit to read information Oracle provides during installation process. One of them specifies that default usernames and passwords are SYS/CHANGE_ON_INSTALL and SYSTEM/MANAGER. Those are system accounts and, therefore, are not to be used for development purposes.

To practice and learn Oracle, you can connect as SCOTT/TIGER - Scott's schema already contains sample tables filled with data so that you can easilly follow basic instructions and examples found in literature.

When connecting to Oracle (through SQL*Plus, for example), you'll be asked to enter value for a "Host String" - this would be the name of the database you created during installation process. I hope you remember this value. If not, search for a file named TNSNAMES.ORA - in there you'll find this value.

Tnsnames.ora

Hi Guys, thanks for your help. I have one more question. TNSNAMES.ORA. I did the search for that, and foudnt he file, but it wants me to select which program to open this with. Do I need to download something that will open this for me?

Any text editor will do it.

Hey Guys, I looked in the file TNSNAMES.ORA I tried to logon to the SQL PLus but it keeps saying timeout loggedI am using the same DB name and password that I used to sign up for the oracle database? Am i supposed to setup a separate account(username PW and Hostname) for SQL PLus? Is the hostname the IP Address?

I am usign the host string as the title of the database, but could it be my username and password are wrong? How can I obtain to see if I am putting the correct information in?

Well, it would really be nice if someone could pour knowledge into your head so that you wouldn't have to learn things by yourself. However, as it is not possible (as far as I know), you'll have to do some research.

I guess you didn't follow Anacedent's link. If you did, you'd probably see the SQL*Plus User's Guide and Reference. Now here it is. Don't be lazy and educate yourself.