Unanswered: Outlook Version Jump

Hi all,

I wrote a little program in Access that scans through Outlook's inbox looking for emails with a specific subject line to extract the information those messages contain in an attached file.

I works great with Outlook 2000, but does not in Outlook 2003. I get the following error when trying to work with Outlook 2003:

"Automation Error, The specified module can not be found."

Any idea why? The only other difference is that the PC running the program with Outlook 2003 is Run-Time (meaning I can not see exactly what it is choking on).

Is it Run-Time or is it Outlook?

Thanks for any help!

i do a similar thing - an outlook client-side rule autodeletes mail from Xyz with subject Abcdef, an Access programme finds the most recent of those mails in the deleted items folder and sucks up the attached .CSV

i recently moved it from office2k to office 2k3 - no issues except the need to reference the new outlook library.

referencing outlook 2k3 was made more difficult since i didn't have 2k3 on my machine at the time. this shows how that got fixed using Wayne's magic 0,0 version number.

possible things to check: references; outlook2k3 folder structure (my case proves that 'deleted' is still locatable with the same method in 2k and 2k3, but i have no data for intray); ...and if they are both ok, it's time to worry about runtime.

izy
    currently using SS 2008R2

You are not going to believe this .... well, actually, you probably will.

I got a chance to test it on a machine that has a full install of Access along with Outlook 2003. Now, first off, I thought I may have issues upreving the DB to Access 2003 - no issues! (hard to believe item #1 - I guess I'm getting a bit better at writing "cross-version" code).

So, I was able to see the exact place the program chokes. It was a reference to a directory that didn't exist - a simple "oops" on my part. The frustrating thing: THE ERROR MESSAGE HAS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH ACTUAL ERROR

It's a shame I have to learn the same lesson over and over: Access error reporting SUCKS.

Thanks for your feedback (I suspect I'll be running into other issues based on your reply).

tc