Question Unanswered: Master Server MSX/TSX Setup...

So, I'm looking into using an MSX/TSX setup to help manage and monitor jobs, etc.

I took two test boxes and set one up as a Master and one as a Target and got it working...was able to push a job out and it ran and reported back, etc.

So, that's all great, but this was one small limited test. I'm curious to know if there are any gotchas that some of you have experienced that you would be willing to share with me to help prevent me from experiencing the same issues, etc.

I have about 40 instances that I'm considering using this MSX/TSX setup with, the remaining 15 instances would be monitored by something like Quest. Can a single MSX handle jobs on 40 instances? I already have maintenance plans and jobs set up on all the remote servers. Is there a way to transfer their ownership up to the MSX so they can be monitored from there? So far I haven't seen a way to do that.

*ponders*

Actually, one thing I just realized is that I could set up a job that looked for failed jobs. If I pushed that job out to all the TSX servers that could be used to alert me that something failed on a TSX box. That would actually be a great way to do it the more I think about it...Can anyone think of a reason why that is a bad idea?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by vaaccess
    *ponders*

Actually, one thing I just realized is that I could set up a job that looked for failed jobs. If I pushed that job out to all the TSX servers that could be used to alert me that something failed on a TSX box. That would actually be a great way to do it the more I think about it...Can anyone think of a reason why that is a bad idea?

Thanks!

Right, wrong or indifferent, I have elected to go the latter route instead of using MSX/TSX. I have a 'report' server that polls each member server for jobs completed (polls occur each half hour). The job history is then kept in a central table and I can:

1. Query for failed jobs
    2. Query for jobs that are taking more time than usual
    3. Keep an historical record of job performance over time

The one thing I have not figured out how to do is track when a job is currently executing (and stays in an executing state for too long). The other pain was converting the MS duration into something useful.

I don't like MSX/TSX because of a bad experience I had once when I lost the MSX server. That was a long time ago (>5 years) and maybe things are better now, but I'm slow to forgive such things.

Regards,

hmscott
    Have you hugged your backup today?