Unanswered: Large database solution ?

Hi.

I am using the MS access 2003.

I was thinking how many records database can store up ? unlimited as long there is limit harddisk ? wat about few million records? ")

I would like to know whether it is possible to share the database with many staffs in company at same time for data entry and reading informations only ?

my idea is to put the database mdb in file server so that different staffs / pc can open the database directly from server same time. is it possible ? what are the disadvantages tht might occur.

Cheers,

Thanks

Provided Answers: 6
    There is no limit to the number of records, rather that an Access mdb can be up to 2Gb. That can actually be gotten around through linking to multiple mdb's.

To be used by multiple users, you would split the application into a back end containing the data and a front end containing everything else. Each user should have a copy of the front end on their PC, linked to the back end on the server. Do NOT let multiple users open the same copy of the mdb on the server. It will become corrupted.
    Paul

hi pbaldy,

Thanks. can u describe or give more information about the back-end / front-end ?

how should i do that?

Cheers and thanks

Provided Answers: 59
    The theoretical limits on data storage in Access are constrained by the data storage. As pbaldy suggest if you use the default data storage method in Access (JET) limits you to about 2GB of data, but Access can easily 'talk' to other databases, such as SQL server, DB2, MySQL etc... whose limits are controlled by that software application.

If you are seriously concerned about storing that amount of data then you should consider using a server database, and steer clear of using queries stored within Access. Its fine to proove queries using the query designer but you will have severe performance problems accessing that amoun of information.

Hi. healdem.

Thanks for rely. I will consider another mdb to linking each other to avoid the performance problem.

I am still finding out how i go with database for all ppl to share and view information in server.

Due to budget, not considering the MS access SQL database server. , (sad), using normal access database.

Provided Answers: 1
    MySQL is free...
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

Provided Answers: 6
    Quote Originally Posted by xeroleacy
    hi pbaldy,

Thanks. can u describe or give more information about the back-end / front-end ?

how should i do that?
    http://www.granite.ab.ca/access/splitapp/index.htm
    Paul