Unanswered: exported report is mangled

I have a macro that exports a report into an external RTF document.
    The problem is that the formatting is whacked and fields are getting cut down - usually to about 8 characters. I would prefer to export it as a word document but that is not an option.
    How do I fix this. I don't seem to be able to get the export wizard to kick in like I do when I export to a text file so I have no way of tuning the document.

You will always get flaky results when you export to an RTF. If it is possible I would suggest using Adobe Acrobat to export to a PDF. Acrobat does a pretty good job with graphics. Exporting to an RTF, on the otherhand exports no lines.

Acrobat is not perfect (I don't think anything is 100%) but it does recreate 98% of the document (in my experience).

1) The export to Word actually goes to RTF, meaning that true DOC is not available.

2) If you don't have Acrobat (required Adobe software to make PDF's) you can try PrimoPDF (google it). It's free and works like a printer (the same way Acrobat does). Of course, that means you have to fiddle with printing options, which can get very complicated very fast.

NOTE: PrimoPDF works with any Windows app (and maybe Mac to, I don't know!)

3) To get a "true" export (perhaps the 99.7% we're looking for) go to msdn.microsoft.com and search for +Access, +Snapshot. Snapshot is the same concept as PDF and is available as an export option in Access once it's installed. Also, the Snapshot viewer is free. This format output will almost perfectly match the report, but is not editable once exported (PDF won't be either).

Supposedly, SNP files can be opened in a browser - I haven't had occasion to try it myself.

Good luck
    have fun!

Todd S.
    click to email

Independent Development Consultant
    Biz db & reports - SQL, Access, Crystal, Seradex and more
    Small, custom, unique programs - Office, VBA, .NET

Sadly, there was no error number to look up ...

Typical of microsoft to tell people to use snapshot rather than fix the exporting to a doc file.
    I mean, Word is an MS Office program so why can't Access export to it properly?
    Problem for me in using snapshot is then I have to install the viewer on all the computers in our campus.
    I am going to strip out from the report all lines and fancy fonts and formatting and see if i can get something that will look correct in rtf.
    Thanks for the info and ideas though

Provided Answers: 1
    I've been known to whole-sale cheat and use a merge from inside word, then distribute both the database and the word template together. That only works if you're a cheater...
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

Update.. apparently with our Office 2003 we have the snapshot viewer installed. I exported the report to snapshot format and then was able to just click on the .snp file to bring up the snapshot viewer and get a flawless copy of the report. Problem solved! I just have to make a change to the macro to export to snapshot instead of rtf! made my day! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by tcace
    Supposedly, SNP files can be opened in a browser - I haven't had occasion to try it myself.
    I have! Works geeeerrrrraaaattte if you don't have installing snapshot as an option.
    Last edited by pootle flump; 11-03-05 at 12:24.
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.