Database Question

Hi All,

I have a database question !

We are trying to manage a reporting tool we momentarily have in Excel. My collegue build it but never thought what would happen if the information would grow to big. My idea is to create a database containing all information on which we can build reports.

The Excel sheet has already exceeded the 7 Mb and contains many formulas which make this workbook very slow and hard to work with.

So the demands we have for such a system are as follows:
    - The dB must be rapid (don't think the size would be a problem for a dB that's why i'm asking this question but are there differences between the different dBses)
    - The information input must be easy
    - The output must be in lists as well as graphics
    - Would like the possibility to have selected output vai IExplorer for online consulting of customers

Now my question : What would be the best dB format to write such a database ?? (Access ?? VB ?? MySQL etc....)

I am a newbee to this so please excuse me If i have been unclear or if I have made "stupid" remarks.

Thanks, Jelmer

If you're coming from a spreadsheet, the data are "flat" and probably won't be much of a challenge for relational databases. However, in moving from a spreadsheet to a database, you might want to look at the design and see if "flat" is the best way to go.

Anyway, various database programs have been discussed here and you might want to look through the archives of this particular group, going back as far as bperhaps six months. Most database programs nowadays have a client-server architecture, which adds a little to the learning curve coming from Excel. MySQL is popular and free, unless you want to distribute it as part of an application. Oracle just purchased InnoDB, a component MySQL uses, and it is unclear what impact this will have on it. Other choices are Firebird and the one I decided to use after doing considerable research - PostgreSQL. The problem with all of these products is that you will need to develop a user interface, which may require some programming skill. I know people have developed interfaces for PostgreSQL with Access, which is pretty easy to learn. For desktop applications, you might also consider Filemaker and Alpha 5.

Hope this introduction to the topic helps. Its good that you are asking the question, as picking the right product is an important step.

Look at BI Products

I suggest you look at Business Intelligence products that are specifically designed for the kind of analysis that you want to do.
    The market leaders are Cognos and Business Intelligence. Microsoft offers a cheaper option with its Analytical Server. You can get one or two good books on AS, or browse them on Amazon to get a feeling for what they can do for you.

Good luck !

B.Dimple
    Senior DBA

Quote Originally Posted by bdimple
    I suggest you look at Business Intelligence products that are specifically designed for the kind of analysis that you want to do.
    The market leaders are Cognos and Business Intelligence. Microsoft offers a cheaper option with its Analytical Server. You can get one or two good books on AS, or browse them on Amazon to get a feeling for what they can do for you.

Good luck !

B.Dimple
    Senior DBA
    Hi and Thanks !!
    I'm just looking at this Cognos and it sounds very much what we are looking for !! And it save's me time building a tool !!

Jelmer