Unanswered: Proof of concept Oracle worm

Please don't email me directly with questions. I've probably just got home from the pub and cannot guarantee the sanity of my answers. In fact, I can't believe I actually made it home.

Provided Answers: 4
    ... the worm uses several default username and password combinations to attempt to log onto the remote database.
    Is there any serious DBA who leaves default passwords for critical usernames (such as SYS and SYSTEM)? If so, he deserves data corruption

Even if this worm connects as SCOTT/TIGER (or similar accounts), I guess that possible damage is minimal as Scott's privileges are really restricted (unless they aren't, of course). Truncating scott.emp table isn't something that a hacker should be proud of.

Perhaps I'm too optimistic regarding such threats ... what do you think about it? But please, don't ruin my weekend - leave bad news for next Monday

Hi Littlefoot,

Even getting a connection as scott/tiger could well be catastrophic.

Imagine an on login trigger (is an "on instance start" trigger possible for scott?), which calls a function which calls itself. You would firstly bring the instance to it's knees pretty quickly and secondly make the instance virtually irrecoverable.

Bear in mind it is only proof of concept stuff though

Have a good weekend!

Bill
    Please don't email me directly with questions. I've probably just got home from the pub and cannot guarantee the sanity of my answers. In fact, I can't believe I actually made it home.