Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unanswered: simple access problem that will give me some extra credit

Hello I don't know if any one will know this one but, I need to turn this data

ALso lets say that I have a field called player ...
    there are Feature1, 2, 3, 4 fields

by default the table is set up like this ...
    Player feature1 feature2 feature3 feature4
    p1 data1 data2 data3 data4
    p2 data4 data5 data6
    p3 data7 data8
    p4

in to someting like this

player feature
    p1 data1
    p1 data2
    p1 data3
    p1 data4
    p2 data4
    p2 data5
    p2 data6
    p3 data7
    p3 data8
    No p4

if any one can help it would be great>>> I would go from this

to this

justin

Hi Justin

The ideal would be to design the table correctly in the first place. Are you in a position where you can change your table structure to the second example you posted? The current structure is not good (as evidenced by the fact you are trying to get away from it).
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.

Provided Answers: 1
    You might be able to do that with a cross tab if you use player and feature as row headings, I've never tried it though...
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy
    I've never tried it though...
    Probably a good reason for that eh Ted...
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump

Quote Originally Posted by pootle flump
    Hi Justin

The ideal would be to design the table correctly in the first place. Are you in a position where you can change your table structure to the second example you posted? The current structure is not good (as evidenced by the fact you are trying to get away from it).
    Dan ... And we've both seen posts where they want to go to the top example from the bottom example ... Did I not post on that once?

Justcraz:

This can be done with some VBA code AND assuming that you have a fixed number of columns ... Just read each record and write out the desired # of rows.
    Back to Access ... ADO is not the way to go for speed ...

Provided Answers: 6
    Not sure why we're helping with homework, but a fairly simple union query will produce the desired result.
    Paul

Thanks

Sweet, thoes sound like some great ideas, and unless i run out of time I will be able to figure it out real good.

I am new to the access ring as you can tell and have been craming this stuff down for a while.

The only problem is I have to study forms real quick at the same time because I have a quiz

thanks again

Be careful what you study "real quick".

Quote Originally Posted by M Owen
    Dan ... And we've both seen posts where they want to go to the top example from the bottom example ... Did I not post on that once?
    Indeed you did Mike - and yours was an example of taking a normalised table (or at least the little we saw of it it looked like one) and manipulating the output for a very specific presentation requirement. This is the opposite - taking data stored in what appears to be a presentation requirement and normalising the output.

Also - I'm quite happy respond to homework questions - it is the nature of the repsonse that requires judgement. None of the responses can be accused of doing any more than offering some ideas that may turn out to be fruitful. I think that is appropriate especially as this guy hasn't done what some do (copy and paste assignment and demand someone does it for them).

Testimonial:
    pootle flump

Woaah - how did I find myself back here? Recursive linking
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump

Woaah - how did I find myself back here? Recursive linking
    What can I say, I'm sneaky...

Indeed you did Mike - and yours was an example of taking a normalised table (or at least the little we saw of it it looked like one) and manipulating the output for a very specific presentation requirement. This is the opposite - taking data stored in what appears to be a presentation requirement and normalising the output.

Also - I'm quite happy respond to homework questions - it is the nature of the repsonse that requires judgement. None of the responses can be accused of doing any more than offering some ideas that may turn out to be fruitful. I think that is appropriate especially as this guy hasn't done what some do (copy and paste assignment and demand someone does it for them).

Yes. It was normalized ... And as for homework/class projects, I sometimes MIGHT give a hint or 2 (like in this case) ... This particular problem is UGLY no matter how you do it (case in point: Ted's previous post). My point on this post was that using VBA AND knowing the # of columns involved you can make this a bit less ugly ...
    Back to Access ... ADO is not the way to go for speed ...

answer to the question

I don't konw if posting the answer is against any debate about the ethics of this type of help ... but in my case the teacher mentioned that this question was a internet search type of question. ANy way that you could get the problem doen minus the whole one guy in class finds it and then tells the others . but any way

here it is
    the as thing changes the feature1 field to the feature title
    SELECT DVD.Player, DVD.Feature1 as feature
    FROM DVD;

UNION
    SELECT DVD.Player, DVD.Feature2 as feature
    FROM DVD;

UNION
    SELECT DVD.Player, DVD.Feature3 as feature
    FROM DVD;

UNION
    SELECT DVD.Player, DVD.Feature4 as feature
    FROM DVD;

it was a little harder trying to figure it out on my own I got as fast as finding the help examples of the union in the help file.... but getting it work ... I ran into a fight with the little lady and a time issue ... but I was this close

oh well.....at least I learned something

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Justcraz
    oh well.....at least I learned something
    Justin - it is terribly refreshing to have a student post, get some guidence, go off and figure out the solution from that. As you say - you learned something - a lot of your peers are not, I am afraid, doing even that. Good job.

BTW - although the solution solves your immediate problem I still hold that the problem itself arises from what is (probably - there could of course be extenuating circumstances) a poor table design.
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump