Unanswered: SQL Server 2000 EM hangs when accessing specific db

I upgraded from SQL server 7.0 to 2000 not long ago, I'm running 2000 SP3, WIN 2K. Things worked fine for several weeks after the upgrade but now I'm experiencing Enterprise Manager hang in the case of one database only, when I try to view the design of a VIEW. I can open the VIEW fine and look at the results, EM only hangs when I try to view design.

I have checked another of the active DBs on my server and it is fine, no EM hang.

Any ideas how to troubleshoot this?

thx

**I just realized that I'm running SP3, not SP4 (corrected above). Correct me if I'm wrong but does MS have a fix for this problem in SP4? I seem to recall a similar issue in the KB.

thx
    Last edited by dbclown; 11-07-05 at 13:28.

Provided Answers: 11
    Is there anything special in the code of a particular view (case statements or unions), or is this all views in the database?

lots of LEFT OUTER JOINS to base tables in the same db and at the end the WHERE clause which filters subjects returned according to field value in one of the previously joined tables.

WHERE (field = thisvalue) and (field = thatvalue)

thx

Provided Answers: 11
    How about this, then. Get EM hung up, then go in with Query Analyzer. Look for your hung connection in sp_who2, and see if it is blocked somehow. If not, then you should be able to recover the statement it is trying to run with DBCC INPUTBUFFER (SPID). See if you can run that in Query Analyzer.

Is your client up to date with Service Packs, by the way?