Unanswered: Monitoring SQL Server

I believe we are reaching some limitations with SQL Server and I have been monitoring certain items in the Performance Monitor such as: pages/sec; Bytes received/sec; Bytes sent/sec; % disk read time; % disk write time; % processor time; Log growths; percent log used; and transactions/sec. I notice quite a few spikes in Bytes sent/sec and when the % disk read time spikes for more than a few seconds, users notice a delay.

My thoughts are that 1: We need more memory on our SQL Server box (we currently have 768 meg, need a faster SQL Server box and need to distribute the load of some databases to another SQL Server; and 2: We also have a bottleneck when users are connecting via Citrix to SQL Server via our Terminal2 server (which has been tracked down to simply a slow Terminal2 box with a slow nic card - This has been confirmed that our Terminal2 is definately taking a toll and will time-out when large queries are executed.)

We also have been monitoring each of the server boxes. Are there any other recommendations for SQL Server Performance monitor that anyone could see which would be good to monitor (there are several things which can be selected to monitor?)

We've also noticed that bound MSAccess forms seem to play a significant role in the long spikes for Bytes sent/sec. I'm assuming this might be normal for bound forms and the slow SQL Server box with limited memory. Unbound MSAccess forms do not seem to present any problem and show as quick spikes for the Performance monitor.

Another problem is that I also can't seem to tie back the Performance monitor spikes with specific transactions in the SQL Profiler. Is there any way to pinpoint a spike in the Performance monitor with a specific transaction other than trying to catch the spike and quickly switching to SQL Profiler?

We are planning on upgrading our SQL Server box and also adding in another SQL Server box to help distribute the load with certain databases. We are also getting a faster box for our Terminal2 (citrix) server as these slow-downs/time-outs do not happen internally or when we use Remote Desktop Connection to connect externally (only when we connect externally via Terminal2).

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance.
    Expert Database Programming
    MSAccess since 1.0, SQL Server since 6.5, Visual Basic (5.0, 6.0)

Have you done a sql trace?

1/2 GB of memory?

That's kinda low....

MS Access and SQL Server...hmmmm
    Brett
    8-)

It's a Great Day for America everybody!

dbforums Yak CorralRadio 'Rita
    dbForums Member List
    I'm Good Once as I ever was

The physical order of data in a database has no meaning.

Trace

I'm sorry, I meant running a SQL Trace and the Performance Monitor. Is there a way to tie these 2 together to find spikes in Performance Monitor related to a specific transaction in the SQL Trace?
    Expert Database Programming
    MSAccess since 1.0, SQL Server since 6.5, Visual Basic (5.0, 6.0)