Unanswered: Changed IP Address

Hi All,

I have an Oracle 8i (8.0.6) database. The machine that it is on currently has a 207.101.xxx.xx address. I would like to change this to a 192.168.xx.xx address. I know that I will have to edit the tnsnames.ora file on client pc's, but what do I need to do on the server side? In the Listener.ora file I can't find a place to enter the new IP address. Not that much information on the web either. If someone can help I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
    Jared

Where the Surf Meets the Turf @Del Mar, CA
    Provided Answers: 1
    >I know that I will have to edit the tnsnames.ora file on client pc's
    WHY?
    Why not just changed the DNS entry to reflect the new IP#?
    You can lead some folks to knowledge, but you can not make them think.
    The average person thinks he's above average!
    For most folks, they don't know, what they don't know.
    Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.

Quote Originally Posted by jcoe
    Hi All,

I have an Oracle 8i (8.0.6) database. The machine that it is on currently has a 207.101.xxx.xx address. I would like to change this to a 192.168.xx.xx address. I know that I will have to edit the tnsnames.ora file on client pc's, but what do I need to do on the server side? In the Listener.ora file I can't find a place to enter the new IP address. Not that much information on the web either. If someone can help I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
    Jared
    The listener already knows the IP address of the machine that it is running on. The only thing that needs to know the address of the server is the client.
    Bill
    You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

In the tnsnames.ora file the IP address to the host machine is there. I thought this needed to be changed.

If I do change the IP address of the Database server then I can't connect to the database, login to Enterprise manager, etc. If the listener looks at the address of the machine shouldn't I be able to do this?

Quote Originally Posted by beilstwh
    The listener already knows the IP address of the machine that it is running on. The only thing that needs to know the address of the server is the client.

yaaaaaa...is true

In this case, client software that just happens to be on the same machine as the database needs to know the address of the server. Change the TNSNAMES.ORA file so that the database server can be found.
    Bill
    You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Thanks! I will give it a shot and reply back...