Thread: Report Close

Unanswered: Report Close

Hey everyone,

I have a report that I'm working on and when a user closes I want to bypass the save option. Maybe through the OnClose event....?

Any ideas? I couldn't figure it out.

-Chris

Provided Answers: 1
    bypass saving the report? Do you allow users to edit reports? If not, have you considered compiling to an mde thus locking all the form and report objects?
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

Mde

This is...mmm...an open db....

I'm not sure how to describe it other than it's a pseudo multi user environment that is open but I want to have some control over a few things such as this report.

Basically, the report is a generic base that different headers are added to on the fly. If a user happens to save their iteration of the report it starts to have multiple headers. This is "bad" since the next user will now have the previous headers plus their own.

I had thought about building the entire report in VBA and generating the whole thing on the fly.....but I dont' feel like taking the time to do that and placing all the field outputs correctly...etc.

thanks for any help
    Chris

Provided Answers: 1
    The problem is you either implement user level security or you don't. Access isn't sophisticated enough to allow ownership of one particular object without implementing some kind of security. Everyone who opens the report will have the exact same privelages you do, which is full control.

You could try playing with the DoCmd.Close method and using acSaveNo, but it's still a little risky.
    Last edited by Teddy; 11-09-05 at 17:22.
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

Possible solution

What I think I'm going to do....

Is use the OnClose event to launch a form. Since the OnClose event can't have a DoCmd statement in it, I'll force the user out to a form that will prompt them whether they REeeeeaaallly want to close the report they're working on.

I know...it's not great but I think it fits the current bill.

Thanks for the ideas.

-c

PS- Never mind....I forgot that the OnClose event comes AFTER the save event. OH well...they'll just have to be reallly good users. Bwwwahahahah.....
    Last edited by Mr_Yabbo; 11-10-05 at 12:46.

Provided Answers: 59
    you consider deploying the app front end as a distributed (ie local) copy for each user. then let them tinker to their hearts content with their own version. If they wreck the report then tough sh1t...... you may need for political reasons keep a good copy elsewhere so that they can recover from their latest cockup