Unanswered: Creating New Records Over Linked Tables

Ok, I am having a hard time with this one and I am not sure if it there is a problem with my thinking, or if I just cant think about how it should be done.

I have a series of tables that are linked by KEY FIELDS. For example lets say LEAD is a field that is common to 2 different tables in the same database. When I create a record in TABLE1 in the LEAD field I want that same number to be automatically created in TABLE2 in the LEAD field.

I have the relationship set up, I have enforced the entegrity of the relationship between the 2 tables and have even told it to do what I thought would be update.

I would think that this would be a fairly standard thing to do across linked tables, but I cannot seem to get it to work.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for your help,

Chad

"automatically created"? I don't know about that.

Typically one might do an subdivision directory with families.

There might be a tblParents (with one record showing both parents' names) and tblChildren (with one record for each child).

In the tblChildren there might be a ParentID field to match up a field with perhaps also called ParentID in tblParents.

With referential integrity on one would have to be sure to create a record in tblParents before putting in a related record into tblChildren.

The only thing automatic that might happen would be that if one deleted a parent record the child records would also get deleted. And if one changed the ParentID for a record in tblParents the ParentID for the related children in tblChildren would also get changed.
    J. Paul Schmidt, Freelance Web and Database Developer
    www.Bullschmidt.com
    Access Database Sample, Web Database Sample, ASP Design Tips

Ok so if I have tblparent and tblchild and they are linked using a number field and I create a new record in tblparent there is no way to automatically create a coresponding field in the tblchild?

I just want to make sure I understand...

here is the way it is being used so perhaps it is easier to understand.

I have a "customer" table that holds the names, addresses and numbers of all my customers. I then have a leads table that records all the times that the customers have a sales call set up wih them (it might be once or several times). If I create a new customer there should automatically be a new lead set up for that customer because all customers always have a lead. The same idea applies in other areas of the database, but that is the basics.

I guess I am just trying to see if this is something that can be done or not.

Thanks for the help,

Chad