Unanswered: Dropping column use rollbacks?

If I drop a column from a 200g partitioned table, will it use a rollback segment(s) to accomplish this?

CougarTrace

Provided Answers: 4
    I'd say not, as DDL commands can not be rolled back. Why? Because every DDL command performs implicit COMMIT after its execution.

But...

when we drop the column, won't it have to go through the table and drop the data from every row? I would think this would suggest rollbacks would get involved.

Provided Answers: 4
    Not every delete includes rollback; what about using the "TRUNCATE TABLE table_name"?

I think rollback segment is not used. Perhaps you'll hear different answer from someone else.

thanks

thanks for info. I appreciate the help.

If you do drop column set unused then there should only be a very small amount of undo as it just does a change in the data dictionary. However if you do drop column then it will generate undo and redo as it clears the data out and will take a long time . To reduce the amount of undo generated there is a checkpoint clause which defaults to do doing a checkpoint every 512 rows.

NOTE if you have to abort the operation then V_$FAST_START_TRANSACTIONS will give you an idea of how long it will take to rollback.

Alan

yes..however

this column is a clob column and we are dropping to recover space. This function will need do what is necessary to free space.

One thing you may wish to try is to use dbms_redefinition if you have the disk space as dropping a column on a prod system may cause locking issues if the table is sill being accessed.

Alan