Arrow Unanswered: Couple of questions...

Hey, I've got a couple of questions regarding different things in access.

1st: Is it possible to make a text box larger (with other words make it contain more than 255 characters) and how do I do that?

2nd: I got a bit of a problem, I need to make a questionaire with 3 alternatives to each question plus a comment box for each answer. How do I do that?

3rd: I need to make a column where one is supposed to insert dates (for example when you start working on a project) but i need to retain the older dates (I need to update the date once a year or so) so i get some sort of history.

Thankful for any help
    / Ionizer

Quote Originally Posted by ionizer
    Hey, I've got a couple of questions regarding different things in access.

1st: Is it possible to make a text box larger (with other words make it contain more than 255 characters) and how do I do that?

2nd: I got a bit of a problem, I need to make a questionaire with 3 alternatives to each question plus a comment box for each answer. How do I do that?

3rd: I need to make a column where one is supposed to insert dates (for example when you start working on a project) but i need to retain the older dates (I need to update the date once a year or so) so i get some sort of history.

Thankful for any help
    / Ionizer
    1) Nope... because it can already contain more than 255. Is it bound to a field in a table of Text datatype? If so, it is this that is limiting you. You need a memo field but don't use these willy nilly - they should only be used when required.

2) What have you got so far?

3) That's more than a couple.... Create a Project History table with a one-to-many relationship

HTH
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.

1st: I got a field in a table set to text, that limits me to using only 255 chars. But i need the box to contain more data than that. So I'll change it to memo and that should solve the problem right?

2nd: I havent even started. Do I setup the alternatives in the expression builder or what? And how do I connect that to say a form where there are check-boxes.

3rd: I think I get the drift. Atleast I hope I do.

I'm kind of a newbie mildly speakin

Thanks for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by ionizer
    1st: I got a field in a table set to text, that limits me to using only 255 chars. But i need the box to contain more data than that. So I'll change it to memo and that should solve the problem right?

2nd: I havent even started. Do I setup the alternatives in the expression builder or what? And how do I connect that to say a form where there are check-boxes.

3rd: I think I get the drift. Atleast I hope I do.

I'm kind of a newbie mildly speakin

Thanks for the help.
    1) Yup

2) You need to consider whether or not there will always be three (no less and certainly no more) options for each question - this may affect your design. You also need to decide how to store responses. Has your teacher given you any references?

3) Super duper
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump

Quote Originally Posted by pootle flump
    1) Yup

2) You need to consider whether or not there will always be three (no less and certainly no more) options for each question - this may affect your design. You also need to decide how to store responses. Has your teacher given you any references?

3) Super duper

2: There will only be 3 options to choose from and u have to choose one
    for example yes - no - N/A plus there should be a comment box.
    I was thinking that I should store the answers in a table or so is that a bad idea? And no my teacher has'nt given me any references sadly.

Hi ionizer

I would sit down and surround yourself with whatever db design material you have covered so far in your class and put together a design or two. Perhaps google for similar - you aren't the first to do something like this. We are happy to give specific answers to specific questions however you would learn very little if we provided you with the design for this.

Consider first of all what you want the db to do and what you want out of it. Then design the tables and structure in light of this. Forms and reports come last - don't consider them yet.

And yes - you would want to store these answers in a table

HTH
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump

Quote Originally Posted by pootle flump
    Hi ionizer

I would sit down and surround yourself with whatever db design material you have covered so far in your class and put together a design or two. Perhaps google for similar - you aren't the first to do something like this. We are happy to give specific answers to specific questions however you would learn very little if we provided you with the design for this.

Consider first of all what you want the db to do and what you want out of it. Then design the tables and structure in light of this. Forms and reports come last - don't consider them yet.

And yes - you would want to store these answers in a table

HTH
    Lol I know.
    Well I'll try to figure that out then, it shouldnt be to hard I guess.

I'll come back again when I need help with the forms and stuff I guess.

Thanks a bunch for the help, it was'nt as hard as I suspected.