Unanswered: Log Shipping Problem

Hi there,

I am currently trying to set-up log shipping for one of my databases. In order to set this up I am trying to backup the master database on the primary server and restore it on the secondary server. When I try and restore it I get a message saying that the master database has been restored successfully but then the database crashes and I can't get it to restart unless I use the rebuildm utility.

Any ideas what could be causing this? The servers are both SP4 and use the same collation types.

I've spent hours on this so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Forgive me, but why are you trying to restore the master database on the secondary server? To my knowledge, that's not part of the setup process. Restoring the master database is an entirely different process and needs to be handled totally outside the context of log shipping.

Regards,

hmscott
    Have you hugged your backup today?

Hi there,

Sorry for the delay in replying. I'm following a document that a collegue put together. One of the steps he has listed is to restore the master db from the Primary Server to the Secondary Server. The Secondary Server will be used as a failover server so I pressume this is to make sure that the ss can take over the trole of the ps in event of failure?? Is this not the case? I'm not using the wizard to set this up.

Okay, it's been a while (about two years), but at one time I managed a log shipping pair. Here are the things that I remember:

1. I remember nothing about having to restore the master db to the secondary. The master db handles information about databases, files, devices, logins and server-wide info. When you set up log shipping, the database and file placement information carries forward with the log shipping process. [edit: this is not entirely correct; you specify the placement of files for the destination database when you create the destination database. There is no requirement that the destination file locations match source file locations, although this would be a prudent measure. Sorry for the misleading comment.]

I do remember that the SQL Server Login information DOES NOT carry forward. Thus, you will need to set up a manual process to copy logins from the primary server to the secondary. Do a google on sp_resolve_logins.

Also, please check this link.

2. The log shipping process pretty much handles the remaining processes (transferring data, copying over schema changes and even permissions). You have to remember to set up individual log shipping processes for each database on the primary server.

3. There is nothing automatic about the failover process. Applications (or users) will need to update IP addresses and the secondary server will have to be placed into the primary role.

Finally, you might want to check out this link as well.

Regards,

hmscott
    Last edited by hmscott; 11-15-05 at 16:27.
    Have you hugged your backup today?

Thanks, I'll look into it and let you know how I get on.

Just to say thanks for your help. I managed to set it up by:

1) Making sure that all sql services were running under an account with network permissions.

2) Transfering the logins from the primary server to the secondary server using the Transfer Logins Task within DTS. (not restoring the master database as i was instructed by a colleague)

Matt