Unanswered: importing problem

I am trying to import / link a excel spreadsheet which contains approx. 37000 records. After I do this I can only view approx, 16000 of these. I even tried deleting the spreadsheet down to approx. 27000 records and get the same result???

Any thoughts on what maybe causing this?
    I am using Access 97

Do you have the same problem when you link? The spreadsheet may be so large that when you import it, it makes your database exceed the 1 gig limit, which is the limit for A97. (A2003 goes to 2 gigs; I don't know about A2000.) If that's the case you shouldn't have that problem when you link. If you do, maybe there's a different problem.

Try the following: delete the spreadsheet from your Access DB and compact your database (Tools--> Database Utilities--> Compact and Repair Database). Now try re-importing. Do you still have the problem?

HTH

Sam

didn't work

tried that buy I get the same result- totally confused over this
    I done this in the past so many times and never had this problem before!!

Provided Answers: 1
    What exactly are you doing when you say "import/link"? Are you using a wizard, ado/dao/etc dataset, linked table, standard import or something else entirely?
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

I would look at the 16001st record. Is there any weird data in that record? What happens if you make a copy of the spreadsheet, delete that row and try to re-import?

Another thought, copy the spreadsheet, save it as a CSV file (File/Save As), then change the extension to TXT and open it in Notepad or Wordpad. Any data corruption/weirdness might be easier to spot this way. Also turn off word wrap in Notepad.

Try compact/repair database, try again?

thanks all

finally had enough of this and upgraded to 2000. nothing seemed to work
    after installing access 2000 I was able to import the data first time.