Unanswered: Specialization in MS Access

Hey guys,

I'm studying IS in college and I recently received a project, requiring the development of an online music store using Java and Microsoft Access (the store is to be similar to Amazon, rather than iTunes Music Store).

Basically my problem is that I would like the site to feature several different product types, e.g. Music, DVDs, Games, Books and MP3 Players, as most online music stores would. I just can't figure out how to specialize from a Products table to Music, DVDs, Games, Books and MP3 Players tables using Microsoft Access.

You can get an idea of what I mean from the ERD here: http://www.databaseanswers.org/data_...shop/index.htm

Here, a Products table is specialized into Games, Consoles and Accessories. I need to implement my DB like this using Microsoft Access.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Joe.

Provided Answers: 1
    Sooooooo... why can't you lay your tables out exactly like that?
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

Ok if I set up the tables like so in Access...surely Games, Consoles and Accessories would be in no way related to the Products table?

Provided Answers: 1
    Gah, now that I actually look at those tables, that's a little frightening... I've done this by referencing a product_type_id, then based on that id I will tell the front end where to look for the detailed information.
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***