Thread: mysql password

Unanswered: mysql password

When I got phpMyAdmin working, at index.php it told me that root does not a have a password, and I should put one. after when I went to privilages and a put a password for it, it can't log me in anymore it tells me:

[QUOTE]
    Welcome to phpMyAdmin 2.6.4-pl3

phpMyAdmin tried to connect to the MySQL server, and the server rejected the connection. You should check the host, username and password in config.inc.php and make sure that they correspond to the information given by the administrator of the MySQL server.
    Error

MySQL said: Documentation
    #1045 - Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: NO) [QUOTE]

I know the password I put for it, but nothing comes up so I can put one.
    Can you tell me how I can fix this?

I have also tried the command: :mysqladmin reload", and the problem is still there.

If you`re running MySQL under Linux, then you should know that there are two separate root users. One for localhost and the other for remote access. Can you connect to MySQL by issuing a command such as :

mysql -u root -p [password], this is for the local user.

If you want to try to connect as the remote user, then just install the MySQL client tools on another pc and issue the command (from the remote pc) :

mysql -u root -p [password] -h [address_of_MySQL_server]

One of these users has the password you have set.

Hope this helps!!!

In your phpMyAdmin root directory, there should be a file called config.inc.php

Search that file until you come across two lines like:
    $cfg['Servers'][$i]['user'] = 'root';
    $cfg['Servers'][$i]['password'] = 'rootpassword';

and set the username and password there. You should usually only need to set values for the first occurence.