Angry Unanswered: Oracle Date Datatype - Formatting date from US to Japan local time.

Hi,

Datatype: Date
    DB Server / UNIX server location: US timezone: CST
    Query is initiated from client in Japan say "select x,y, sysdate .. from a,b;"

When the query returns results, the date data comes in US local time. I cannot change the db instance time or the UNIX server system time to Japan time. How can I format the sysdate (date datatype) to get the JAPAN time.

NOTE that when the US timezone changes, this should not affect the function.

Any help appreciated.

Regards,
    Aravind

AFAIK, NLS parameters are not sufficient here, and you need a little trick.

What you should do is : sysdate - (server timezone offset) + (client timezone offset).

Code:
    select
    to_char
    (
       Sysdate
       , 'DD/MM/YYYY:HH24:MI:SS'
    ) Local_Datetime,
    to_char
    (
       Sysdate 
       - (to_number(to_char(systimestamp,'TZH'))/24 + to_number(to_char(systimestamp,'TZM'))/1440)
    ) UTC_Datetime,
    to_char
    (
    Sysdate 
       - (to_number(to_char(systimestamp,'TZH'))/24 + to_number(to_char(systimestamp,'TZM'))/1440)
       + (to_number(substr(tz_offset('Asia/Tokyo'),1,3))/24 + to_number(substr(tz_offset('Asia/Tokyo'),5,2))/1440)
    ) Japan_Datetime
    from dual;
    Code:
    rbaraer@Ora10g> select
      2  to_char
      3  (
      4     Sysdate
      5     , 'DD/MM/YYYY:HH24:MI:SS'
      6  ) Local_Datetime,
      7  to_char
      8  (
      9     Sysdate
     10     - (to_number(to_char(systimestamp,'TZH'))/24 + to_number(to_char(systimestamp,'TZM'))/1440)
     11     , 'DD/MM/YYYY:HH24:MI:SS'
     12  ) UTC_Datetime,
     13  to_char
     14  (
     15  Sysdate
     16     - (to_number(to_char(systimestamp,'TZH'))/24 + to_number(to_char(systimestamp,'TZM'))/1440)
     17     + (to_number(substr(tz_offset('Asia/Tokyo'),1,3))/24 + to_number(substr(tz_offset('Asia/Tokyo'),5,2))/1440)
     18     , 'DD/MM/YYYY:HH24:MI:SS'
     19  ) Japan_Datetime
     20  from dual;

LOCAL_DATETIME      UTC_DATETIME        JAPAN_DATETIME
    ------------------- ------------------- -------------------
    16/11/2005:09:39:12 16/11/2005:08:39:12 16/11/2005:17:39:12

rbaraer@Ora10g>
    HTH & Regards,

RBARAER

PS : I had an almost similar need, and I created a function that returns the local date provided you give the local TZ name as argument (eg 'Asia/Tokyo'). If you store the tz name for each client, then you'll be able to calculate the local time for each of them with this function.
    Last edited by RBARAER; 11-16-05 at 04:52.
    ORA-000TK : No bind variable detected... Shared Pool Alert code 5 - Nuclear query ready .