Unanswered: Need help in creating db

Hello, i need help and maybe some tips or suggestions how to create my new db.First thing i need to do is to create "Invoices DB".
    Emplyees in our company will fill in various invoices, and data from these invoices will be stored somewhere (in table i suppose).There should be some kind of Form, where all that information our employees fill in.
    Now i don't know exactly how i should create table and form...which way to go.This "invoice form" should look smth like this:

-Product - Category - Price - Quantity - TotalPrice

--Book------A --------10$-------2---------20$
    --Pencil-----B---------2$--------1---------2$
    --Paper-----C---------5$--------1---------5$

--------------------------------------Sum: 27$
    --------------------------------------Discount 10%
    --------------------------------------Total 24.3$

Also "Date, ClientID" and other standart fields.

Now what should i do.... create seperate field for each position in this form (e.g. field1 - Product, field2 - Category, field3 - "Book" , field4- "pencil" and so on) and put all information from this specific invoice to one record, or just create main 5 fields at the top (Product,Category,Price,Quantity ,TotalPrice) and for each new entered product my form should create new record.

In first version, i will have to create many fields and there will be big mess...

In second version, everything seems more compact, but there might be some problems with entering (new data). If i enter it at first, i will fill it and print it.But if i need to create one more (new) invoice, i 'll open my form but there will already be entered information, and i'll have to delete everything? This is were i need to figure out what to do...how to make entering new invoice similar to entering new records in standart forms. E.g. i open window, and i see blank fields, where i fill them and print.Then i close, information is stored in table, and next time i open my invoice form, i see again new window with empty fields, where i can create another new invoice and so on...

Maybe you can help me here,

Thank you.

Provided Answers: 1
    Look at the orders form of the Northwind database, that should give you some ideas.
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy
    Look at the orders form of the Northwind database, that should give you some ideas.
    Yes, i did look there, and as i understand there is form and subform in it.Can i make without subform?

How do i make it look empty everytime i open it? Because now in Orders form ,when i open it, i already see previously entered records.
    Last edited by Fprot2; 11-16-05 at 13:03.

dataentry = true

dataentry = true
    Thanks, it works better now.

Another question, how do i create various calculations for different prices in this invoice.I want to make discount field, BUT i want to make exceptions for certain product categories. E.g. whenever i enter discount percentage, it calculates discount for all products, except the ones that are from category "A".

As I understand here are some conditions, where should i specify them...?

that is a significantly more complex question. I would tinker around with that northwind database for a while until you understand how it works, then try to customize your own and let us know which specific issues you run into...

that is a significantly more complex question. I would tinker around with that northwind database for a while until you understand how it works, then try to customize your own and let us know which specific issues you run into...

OK, i did write in VBA simple calculations that are made when you fill some info.But these calculations are made for each record (in my case - each line) seperately.And when i want to see total numbers, i see only for that particular record (product). How to write in VBA, to do calculations from several records, rather than everything in one?

That's what section footers are for...

That's what section footers are for...
    Could you specify exactly what is it and where?

Thanks

Calling "=Sum([YourField])" in a section footer will sum for the entire section. You're probably best off looking up section headers/footers in the help file. there is a help topic titled "Calculate a total or other aggregate values" that you may find useful.

Calling "=Sum([YourField])" in a section footer will sum for the entire section. You're probably best off looking up section headers/footers in the help file. there is a help topic titled "Calculate a total or other aggregate values" that you may find useful.

OK I did it, seems to work now.

One more question, I have this continuous form, where I see all records in one form.I did section footer sum, and it works, but sum values are updated only when i press on new record (to fill in new record).

Is it possible to make so that Total Sum result would be updated when i navigate in one record, rather than going to other record...?

Now i use Afterupdate function.

The record doesn't update until after you navigate away from it.