Red face Unanswered: Importing file types into 2k3

I have converted some 2000 databases to 2k3 however the databases use 'Transfertext' to import some files that use unusual file extensions.

It seems that importing files that dont use standard extensions is not possible, I didnt notice any info about this in MS docs about conversion but could be mistaken.

Can anyone tell me if there is any way arround this other than coding to rename files before import or changing the file extensions i.e. registry key values or something other clever trick?

You can import/link files that have non-standard extensions, but only in VBA, not using the import dialog box. See TransferText in the Help File for details.

Sam

Sorry am trying in VBA:

docmd.transfertext acImportDelim, , "tablename", "filepathname"

and keep getting the runtime error 31519: You cannot import this file
    Import specifications cant be created as this requires that the wizard is run.

Ive found some reg keys that allow file types to be imported by the wizard but there are related key that need altering for the process to complete.

What are you doing differently to get VBA importing?

It sounds like Access has an issue with the data format of the file you're trying to import.

Try this: make a copy of that file and manually change the extension to .txt and try to import it using the wizard. If the data comes up gibberish you'll understand why Access has an issue with it. If not, go through the motions and create an import specification and save it. Then try importing the original file in VBA using the import specification you just created. By the way, what are your exact entries for "tablename" and filepathname? There might be an issue with them also.

Sam