Unanswered: OpenArgs Multiple Information

I am having the worse time with this. I have openargs working with one parameter, but can't with more than one. This is the code for the On-Click. strReportName is passing a string for the type of report. strReportVisible is passing a string to make a text box in the next form NOT visible (visible=true). Any help with this will be greatly appreciated.

Private Sub cmdPC_Click()
    Dim strOpenArg As String
    Dim strReportName As String
    Dim strReportVisible As String
    strReportName = "PC Compilation Report"
    strReportVisible = "invisible = true"
    strOpenArg = strReportName & "_" & strReportVisible

DoCmd.OpenReport "Compilation Report ", acViewPreview, , "type = 'PC'", , strOpenArg

End Sub

then on the report open:

Private Sub Report_Open(Cancel As Integer)
    Dim strReportName As String

strReportName = Mid(OpenArg, InStr(OpenArg, "_") + 1)
    TxtTotalNotebooks = Mid(OpenArg, 1, InStr(OpenArg, "_") - 1)

Provided Answers: 1
    Is this something that you're going to reuse in a lot of a different places? You don't have anything dynamic in there...

If this IS something that's being used dynamically and fed by a form, why not refer to the original source instead of trying to pass stuff through openargs?
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

Provided Answers: 59
    agree with Teddy

BTW the code to access information inanother form is:
    <myparameter> = forms!<myformname>!<mycontrolname>

<mycontrolname> can also be a variable

eg:- strEquipType=forms!frmSelectEquipType!cmbEquipType

OpenArgs

This information is based on command buttons that are clicked. For each type(PC, notebook, software, copier, printer, hub, routers), the heading will change on the report based on what is selected. And certain controls on the report will need to be invisible based on the type.
    Last edited by miracleblake; 11-17-05 at 14:47.

That's the "TYPE = " part right? What can't you accomplish knowing "TYPE = 'PC'" ? Controls on the report will need to have visibility toggled during a different event entirely...

OpenArgs

So, is there no way to extract the information that is needed by the current coding that I have?

OpenArgs

The reason I am trying to use the OpenArgs is to change information in the header of the report. Maybe there is a simpler way of counting the types without using OpenArgs. Here is what I am trying to do. The code currently filters for Type when opening. On the PC report, I need to count the number of PCs in the table and display the total on the report. On the Printer report, I need to count the number of printers in the table and display total on the report (etc. for each type.) However on the ALL command button, I need the report to display the total number of computers, the total number of laptops, (etc). of all items in the table Thank you.

You're already there if this is the method you're dead set on using. We can help more if you explain your intentions with these lines:

strReportName = Mid(OpenArg, InStr(OpenArg, "_") + 1)
    TxtTotalNotebooks = Mid(OpenArg, 1, InStr(OpenArg, "_") - 1)

I can't help but notice strReportName is not declared. Open arguments are called through OpenArgs, not OpenArg, and it appears you are trying to set the value of a textbox in the onopen event, which isn't going to work.

Passing Information

The reason I am trying to use the OpenArgs is to change information in the header of the report. Maybe there is a simpler way of counting the types without using OpenArgs. Here is what I am trying to do. The code currently filters for Type when opening. On the PC report, I need to count the number of PCs in the table and display the total on the report. On the Printer report, I need to count the number of printers in the table and display total on the report (etc. for each type.) However on the ALL command button, I need the report to display the total number of computers, the total number of laptops, (etc). of all items in the table Thank you.

You could evaluate for null when compiling your totals. If you've limited criteria to just laptops, every other category is going to be null. On the other hand, I'm lazy, so I would probably declare a global variable and be done with it.

Obviously we're working with Access 2002 and up ... Why don't you use the Split function on your parameter string? Example:

Dim ParmListString() As String
    ' Format:
    '
    ' Parent ID, New Work Order [, Work Order #
    ' [, Work Order Tbl (, Record #)
    '
    ParmListString = Split(Me.OpenArgs, ",", -1, vbTextCompare)
    WhosMyParent = CInt(ParmListString(0))
    IsNewWO = CBool(ParmListString(1))
    Back to Access ... ADO is not the way to go for speed ...