Unanswered: Question about SQl Server Agent and MSDE

Does anyone know what registry key, controls the SQL Server Agent Service Login parameters?

I'm building an Installer Package (.MSI) and part of my task is to alter the Login properties for the SQL Server Agent Service, and to also make its start-up parameter "automatic" Does anyone know where in the registry I can do this, or if its even in the registry?

Also does anyone know what DLL I can check for to see if SQL Server MSDE is installed on a computer (running XP)?

Quote Originally Posted by Wale
    Does anyone know what registry key, controls the SQL Server Agent Service Login parameters?

I'm building an Installer Package (.MSI) and part of my task is to alter the Login properties for the SQL Server Agent Service, and to also make its start-up parameter "automatic" Does anyone know where in the registry I can do this, or if its even in the registry?

Also does anyone know what DLL I can check for to see if SQL Server MSDE is installed on a computer (running XP)?
    I don't think you want to use a registry key for the Service behaviour. I think you want to use WMI. You can set both the login account and the startup behaviour (and also start the service) using WMI.

There are several methods to check to see if MSDE is installed. One way is by using WMI to access the registry key at:
    SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstal l\

Another is to check for the existence of the sqlservr.exe (I think) executable.

Another (unreliable) method is to check for existence of services listening on port 1433.

I dunno if any of this of any use to you...

Regards,

hmscott
    Have you hugged your backup today?

Yeah I figured I'd check for the executable. I'm not too comfortable utilizing WMI. I think I found a stored proc in the MSED database called "msdb.dbo.sp_set_sqlagent_properties" I think I can use it to set the properties for the SQL Server Agent.

I hit a snag though. The proc allows me to change everything except the value of the Start-up account for The SQL Server Agent