Unanswered: Refresh Access Client

Is there a way to update data on a MS Access 2000 client from SQL Server without polling a table using the form's onTimer event?

It would be much more elegant if I could push the data to the clients every 15-30 minutes when the data on SQL Server gets refreshed.

Can DTS do this? The forms I'm talking about are select only, no editing.

I know I can do this with java and multicasting, should work with MM Flash as well with listeners. I would really like to take this app to Flash, but we have a 1 month timeline to port from Access to SQL Server.

Thanks,
    Carl

Provided Answers: 6
    Try using Access Data Projects. It uses a direct connection to SQL Server and it is what I reccomend for all Access front ends because it provides performance improvements over local and linked tables.
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

Cool, that's what we're doing, and ya, the performance increase is huge, even going from pc app to two tier.

I didn't know that would auto refresh my forms, I'll have to see what you mean, I was just telling the boss how tightly integrated sql server is with Access.

Myforms are firing stored procs for their recordsource, wouldn't I have to refire the proc?

Thanks again,
    Carl

Provided Answers: 6
    yes. this response is too short.
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

I ended up creating a one record, two field table, one's TGGL_BIT which flips back and forth between 0 and 1 and the datetime. The app grabs the state at startup, then polls a stored procedure every 5 seconds to look for the bit to toggle, if it does, it fires all the select procedures.

Suprisingly, it doesn't adversely affect the user experience and works pretty well.
    Carl

I also want to say we're looking into TCP/IP multicasting using java sockets. very cool stuff if we can get it going. We're thinking Flash listener may work on the client side.