Thread: UOW Code

Unanswered: UOW Code

Hi All !

Let us say I have a SQLJ Java application and there is unit of work that does 50,000 SELECT statements, and 10,000 INSERT statements.
    I need to determine if the unit of work (UOW) should be performed using code executing on the application server (WebSphere Application Server) , or should it be executing code on the database server, using a stored procedure.
    I would be interested in knowing how others have dealt with this architectural decision. Do you make a high level decision that dictates where the database access logic resides ? Or Do you make the decision as per the UOW requirement ? small UOW - application server will do, large UOW - database server.

Thanks
    Anil

Provided Answers: 4
    An appliction server deals with the transactions. IMO it is not meant to perform set-oriented batch processes with long UOWs, but for short-duration UOWs (on individual objects). So yes, I follow this guide:
    Or Do you make the decision as per the UOW requirement ? small UOW - application server will do, large UOW - database server.
    I am also interested in knowing how others deal with this.
    With kind regards . . . . . SQL Server 2000/2005/2012
    Wim

Grabel's Law: 2 is not equal to 3 -- not even for very large values of 2.
    Pat Phelan's Law: 2 very definitely CAN equal 3 -- in at least two programming languages