Unanswered: How to start SQL Server when tempdb files were relocated?

It's been a long time since I've tried this, but I have a SQL Server that needs to be restored (including master) to a server whose drives and corresponding folders match the source server, with the exception of tempdb. When SQL Server initially starts I believe it will fail since it cannot find tempdb. I just don't recall if it fails to startup or if it starts up reporting errors and recreates tempdb in the same location as master. Does anyone recall the steps needed to point SQL Server to the new location of tempdb?

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by DBADave
    Does anyone recall the steps needed to point SQL Server to the new location of tempdb?

Dave

I'm going off of memory and intuition here; not direct experience. SQL will re-create tempdb if the tempdb files have been deleted, but I believe it has to have access to the drive/folder where the tempdb was previously located. You might be able to start it with a temporary drive substitution (and then use the ALTER DATABASE command to move the tempdb to a more desirable location.

Sorry if this is not much help...

Regards,

hmscott
    Have you hugged your backup today?